Issues with CMBB

Just installed BB and ended up with no wavs or scenarios. In addition all the infantry are just white figures with faces. Guns and tanks show up fine as do buildings and most terrain. There are blank spots in the terrain and no sound. I have downloaded the patch as well as the files from the installation forum and so I now have all the scenarios but still no sound and funky graphics. The demo ran perfectly. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally posted by Sgtgoody:

Just installed BB and ended up with no wavs or scenarios. In addition all the infantry are just white figures with faces. Guns and tanks show up fine as do buildings and most terrain. There are blank spots in the terrain and no sound. I have downloaded the patch as well as the files from the installation forum and so I now have all the scenarios but still no sound and funky graphics. The demo ran perfectly. Anyone have any ideas?

A Christmas present?

Anyway, we need to know OS, vid card and what drivers your useing....hmmmm, the demo ran fine? The game should to. The single biggest problem to date seems to be useing the wrong drivers with a GeForce card, the majority here use 30.82 or 30.87. Let us know, someone will get you up and running.

KC

Sounds like you may be missing BMP files too, though I'm under the impression that the game will crash if a BMP file is missing. Other occasions where some tiles will come up 'blank' have been with some Voodoo 2000/3000 video cards under Windows 9x/ME, but you would have seen that problem with the CMBB Demo too.

What patch did you download ? I assume that you have the CDV version (retail DVD box) of CMBB ? If you downloaded the patch that is on the Battlefront.com server (~25Mb), then you have the wrong patch. The CDV patch is approximately 68Mb in size. However, if you did apply the wrong patch then you would get an error that the CD is missing and you would be unable to play CM (except by loading a PBEM or TCP/IP session started by someone else or a save file). So you most likely probably have the correct patch installed.

I don't know if the CDV version will accomodate this, but you may want to try copying the install files to a directory on your hard drive (assuming you have the disk space). If that process is successful (no errors during the copying process), then you may want to try running the installation from those files on your hard drive. The CD may need to be present at some point, so just leave it in the drive.

The installation issue with files not being copied ended up being a production problem with some of the BTS (internet) CDs. I can't recall if any of the CDV versions had this problem (they use a different installer). If that is the case, then you may need to contact CDV to get a replacement CD.

[ December 25, 2002, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Ok, sorry the first posting was a little general.

I am running XP on a PIII 550mhz with 256 meg ram and nvidia RIVA TNT2 Mach64.

I have the U.S. version which I ordered about mid November.

Anyway I started playing with the program and the disk after reading the install problems.

I was getting multiple CRC errors and unexpected end of archive errors. I have cleaned the disk multiple times as well as my cd-rom. I now have all the textures although I still get multiple CRC and end of archive errors when it reaches the last portion of the .wav files (above the 08000 range) and all of the scenarios. I have downloaded all the patch files as well as the 101 patch and can now play the game but I do notice some funky sounds while playing. The graphics all seem to be ok though.

I tried copying the disk and then installing from my hard drive but I still get the CRC errors.

Could there be some residue on the disk? I bought a copy for a friend and it also messes up at the same point although my disk was having trouble much earlier before I cleaned it. Both disks look ok but one does seem to have some slight ripples along the outer 1/4 inch of the disk. I haven't tried installing it on a different computer so it could be my machine that is at fault. I am going to try it on my friend's machine and will let you know the results.

By the way yes it was a Christmas present. The wife made me order it myself and then she wrapped it and put it under the tree. I have both of the CM games now and love them. Looks like you are going to make me upgrade my processor though.

[ December 26, 2002, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Sgtgoody ]

As you've probably found out when you downloaded the 'patches', some initial CDs went out with some minor manufacturing defects. I would have assumed that most of them would have been caught by mid-November, but possibly not.

This thread was the official response to the problem of the bad CDs. You can email Madmatt at matt@battlefront.com with your order number and they should send out a replacement CD for you. I'm not sure if this responsibility has been transferred over to the sales@battlefront.com or service@battlefront.com email address or not though. Either way Madmatt should be able to help you get a replacement.

Your video card should be able to handle any of the graphics in CMBB without problem. As for the sounds, I'm not sure what is going on. What sound card or AC97 codec do you have installed ? Do you have problems if you just set Sound to 'ON' rather than 'On + Ambient' ?