Beyond frustrated

Flop

OK can anyone help. I grabbed this today and I have spent the last 4 hours uninstalling SP2, completely uninstalling Windows security center, re-installing everything etc and I can not get the game to connect.

I get the "can't find server error" when I try to connect to the online function. I have logged into the campaign room and can access everything via the web but the game won't connect. What is so frustating is that I have been through the Manual and on the online help and I can't find anwhere where the issue is addressed.

I searched the forums and the only mention is in relation to McAfee but I have no Virus protection or firewalls running.

Any help is appreciate.

Tried for another 2 hours with no luck. Currently I have .net 1.11 install and I am running SP2 but I have gone in through the command window and completely disabled it so there is no firewall or virus protection of any type and still no luck.

I own 3 other BF games and love them but the lack of how to deal with connection issues in this game which requires a connection is criminal.

We have had a very small number of users report problems with being able to connect to the server, and I think in every case the cause was firewall related.

Perhaps you have a hardware firewall? If you are using a DSL or cable connection to the internet, then the router/modem that sits between your computer and the internet almost certainly has a firewall built into it. If so, you would need to look through the documentation for that device to see how to configure it to allow outbound connections.

Thanks Bartbart. It's what I was just doing. It's a Linksys G router and I can't find anything in the documentation showing any firewall settings.

I went into the base settings for my ports and this is what is listed for DIF. Should the Launcher file be showing "File missing"?

-------------------------

DirectPlay Lobbyable Apps

-------------------------

Down in Flames: Online (DX8) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: DiFOGameClient.exe (1.00.0000.16348) LauncherFile: (<File Missing>)

OK help again smile.gif . I went through every setting on the Linksys via Internet Explorer and disabled security and flipped every switch I could that I thought would bottle neck me getting through and still no luck.

Is there one thing in particular that I need to look at or ensure is set a certain way?

I currently have it set now with no password as an unsecured network but stil no luck.

Thanks

Hmmm. With UpnP enabled, it should automatically open up ports as needed for communication, so something strange is definitely going on.

You may want to see if you can rule you router in or out as being the source of the problem. You could try turning the Windows Firewall software on (so that you'll have some degree of firewall protection) and then disable the firewall features on your router. Or if you can physically remove the router and plug your computer directly to your internet connection that would be even better because it would eliminate the possibility that there is some weird routing or NAT (network address translation) problem going on.

Thanks and no McAfee. Maybe I am just destined to play offline only. The cable modem router is upstairs and my computer is to far awayo to hard wire into it without taking mine apart and removing my wifes to plug into her space.

I play numerous games online with no difficulty. Fly WBIII, SHIII, Crusader ect with no issues but this one.................