Lend Lease a/c in Russia

Guest Mike

Now that the secret is out I recommend lend-lease airforce.

Of especial interest to me is conversations with N. G. Golodnikov - who flew P-40's, Hurricanes and P-39's in combat - his comments on why the Russians found the P-40 and P-39 better than the Anglo-allies did are interesting.

He flew I-153's before the war, I-16's and Mig-1/3's in combatat the start of the war, and various others at the end.

He also flew the LaGG-3, although not in combat, and notes that it's main problem was lack of responsiveness - being heavier than its contemporaries with the same engine it acelerated more slowly, and being cleaner it kept it's speed better - so slowed less when the throttle was closed!

Other articles on P-40's, P39's and Hurricanes are fascinating reads.

I dony know why people always thinbk of the P-40 as some second class plane. It was sturdy and reliable and in many units it really didnt fare that bad. I would think it would suit the Russians as they have a history of providing equipment to thier troops that is "tougher" than that of thier enemies. Look at the Su-27 and Mig-29. They are not the equal as far as technology is concerned, but if we had went to war against them I think they wouldnt have been a pushover like most westerners think. And there are lots of pilots that did like the P-40. P-39 i dont know much about. smile.gif

-Ray

The P40 served well when it was used well. In North Africa, the Germans considered them a serious opponante for the '109E at the levels where combat was occuring there.

Unfortunately, too many of the USAAF, RAAF and RNZAF pilots using them against the Japanese had to pay a high price learning how to use them properly. By the end of '42, they had gained something like parity in the air in the southern Pacific, due to improved tactics, when the newer a/c (P38s and F4Us) became available.

The P40 wasn't an easy a/c to handle, but at least had nice, straightforward stall characteristics (unlike the P51, which could be really vicious). It was rugged, reasonably fast, and the Germans considered it to be extremely agile. A dogfight with a Curtis was something that wise '109 pilots avoided.

I think a lot of the Anglo-allied problems with the P-40 came from the earlier a/c that were considered barely combat-worthy as fighters by the British.

They were also not very good above 15,000 feet, where a lot of combat occured over the UK/Europe, so in the desert they found themselves operating at lower altitudes, where ground attack was a pretty obvious function.

It was handicapped by heavy weight which limited its performance but allowed it to take a lot of damage. As Xanadu says it was considered a match or better than 109's up to 15000 feet.