Soviet Spitfires

Guest Mike

does anyone know of a good online account of Spitfires in Soviet service?

I've found a few titbits of V's in service in the Caucasus - especially the Kuban front where they fought after delivery to the Sov's in Iraq - an account of Spitfire Vc's ramming a Fw-189 recce a/c, that teh spits were not regarded as that good due to their narrow undercarriage on rough airstrips, vulnerability of it's cooland system to ground fire, and apparently it resembled a 109 a bit too much ( :confused: :confused: - really? the Germans never sem to have made that error.....)

Also that IX's were sent to Leningrad towards teh end of the war (after the end of the war with Finland), a PR unit was equipped with Spit IV's, and apparently at least 1 Guards regiment had V's somewhere near Leningrad too.

They weer generally retained by hte PVO - the strategic denfence airforce defending cities & centres of industry - rather than used as "frontal fighters" by the VVS on the front line.

[ March 16, 2006, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

You might be better off going in reverse, by finding accounts of German pilots that shot them down. I looked through my dad's extensive (1000+ reference books) collection and with the exception of a few blurbs in the Osprey books there's no real info that I have found. Even with the online searches.

Thats because its like a 300 to 1 ratio as far as sites on German military history as compared to Soviet sites. Its almost like the Soviets weren't there. I suspect as time goes by this will change a little but I guess that doesnt help Stalin in his quest in the present. smile.gif

-Ray

I think the majority of the problem is that Stalin purged so much from Mother Russia while he was in power (people, history, etc..) that a lot of what we do know is all really just peasant tales passed down from mouth to mouth (oral history) or propaganda that Stalin directed to be made up.

There's almost no history known of a lot of the fighter squadrons and infantry divisions that the Germans wiped out, simply because Stalin considered it a disgrace and acted like they never existed.

True. However there does seem to be a lot more info coming out of the fUSSR these days - there were records kept at a level that Stalin probably didn't interest himself in - sadly we'll probably de dead before anything really comprehensive is written, but we can lap up the crumbs mean time! smile.gif