Small problem with new XP system!

CSS

I am delighted that my Wingie is now getting better XP per mission.....The problem is that my Pilot is getting much less, but Pilot skills cost SO much more and there are so many more to buy.

If I were to total up the cost to buy all pilot skills it would be probably 5 to 10 times the total I would spend getting all the wingman skills, So how about adjusting cost too?

Dan will be the one to decide what gets adjusted, but you bring up a good point. One thing that makes this game challenging from a design standpoint is the inter-connectedness of many of the game systems. Changing something in area "A" (such as how XP are awarded) affects things in area "B" (purchasing skills).

I know to some extent, slowing down the rate at which pilots gain skills was an intended consequence. But the question is, will it slow it down too much? Again, Dan will be the one who ultimately decides what, if anything, gets adjusted, but I'm sure he'll be interested in hearing feedback from you guys. Particularly after you have had a chance to play some under the new system.

Good feedback!

For now, let's see how it goes until we get a better feel for the overall picture.

I'm thinking the quick advancement of new wingmen is an advantage for players. Since the players have now gained an advantage, there needs to be a balancing disadvantage somewhere, or else we've just made the game easier to play.

Our goal was to fix a problem, rather than make the game easier, so we'll have to see how it goes.

My wingmen are sometimes 20,000 exp behind their leaders - one of my leaders has more unspent exp than his wingman has in total!! !! In return the wingies are getting 60-70% of the exp on offer even when the leader does all the shooting down and damage.

I think the system will only "prove" itself with couple that have a much smaller split - especially brand new pairs.

Stalin,

20,000 XP BEHIND :eek:

ALL the pilots I've EVER had don't ADD UP to 20,000!

With all due respect, any system is likely to break down at the extremes.

However, it does bring up a good point. Since Dan was forsightful enough to leave an adjustable factor in the formula for XP distribution, maybe the best solution would be to allow each play to decide how to allocate his points. When creating or joining a game, maybe some radio buttons could be added for the player to select "distribute XPs based on experiance" or "distribute XPs based on performance". The program could just use the appropriate factor for each pair at the end of the fight.

This would allow each player some control to develop their pair accordingly.

Personally, it seems to me that since the wingies skills will be cheaper, you get more bang for the XP by diverting the experiance to a low XP wingie who can use it more frequently. Obviously, though, this is a personal choice.

Hi guys. Finally had a chance to play. I guess part of me likes the change, but I think its too easy to max out the wingman skills now. I mean I havent got a chance in hell of maxing my best pilot for his skills. But I am getting ever closer to getting the uber wingman.

But one thing that I still love this game for is the changes grow on you after a while. I still absolutely HATE the IMS2: DESTROYED card, especially when they are grouped together. I know from playing mostly Japanese pilots that they really dont need them once you get into the J2M4.

But overall I think that it really only affects the established pilots.

And Stalin, 20K behind isnt that bad when you are that high. smile.gif Now you just need to get that lead for Algy back up there. ;)

-Ray

Nah - the lead is too easy - it's jsut a matter of sitting at the keyboard long enough - I get more satisfaction from having 2 pilots with perfect "4.00 kills per mission" records for this week smile.gif

2:d's don't seem to be a problem for me, touch wood, but they are 1 major advantage for the Spit 1 & Hurri 1 vs the Germans!

I don't think you've got 2 shows of maxing out wingman skills - I've got 1 with only 2 left to get - one is 2500, the other 11500 exp's - it's a wee way off yet!