So, has the Dell/ME problem been located?

For purposes of comparison, my system:

Dell 2mg

512Mb RAM

WinME

GeForece3 Ti200 with 28.32 Dets

DirectX 8.1

Again my troops are starting "at attention", doing an odd 2-step instead of walking/running, and my timer displays all manner of wierd information if I try to "replay". My reading of the board suggests this is a Dell/ME problem or maybe a power management TSR issue.

Has the problem been isolated and/or a fix found?

For those it affects, does this problem, in your opinion, affect the outcome of the game, i.e., is the result "wrong" or is it just aesthetically unpleasing.

All help appreciated.

Jim

Rats, forgot...

I have tried uninstalling my Dets, reinstalling 8.1, then reinstalling the Dets. I have also tried various versions of the Dets including 28.32 and the newest WHDQ release (which number escapes me at the moment).

Oh, and, of course, the PC is actually a 2 MHZ system.

Thanks again,

Jim

I don't know if a resolution was truly found or not either. The weird timer display problem was associated (as far as I was aware) with the display drivers.

How did you perform the Detonator uninstall ? Was it simply removing the dislay adapter in the Device Manager or was it something more extensive ? Was the video redetected (and previous drivers reinstalled) upon reboot or did it come up as a Standard/Super VGA card ? At any point in the past were you using OEM drivers or have they always been Reference drivers under WinME ?

I TRIED removing the Nvidia drivers using add/remove program, but...

a) It wanted me (on re-boot) to specify a location where my drivers might be found...28.32 is only available in an auto-executable as far as I'm aware so there was no "folder" to point to for those...

B) When I put in the 29.40s and re-booted, it came up with a missing driver, one that apparently 28.32 has because since applying the 28.32s BACK over the 29.40s, the rest of my system works, but CM is, I guess, odd...

Yes, I once had OEMs in for the Dell card which is what motivated the add/remove uninstall method.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

I suggest following the instructions at the bottom of this thread. The system still is looking for components to the previous driver and this needs to be removed. Although the 28.32's should work fine, perhaps you have something left in there that shouldn't be. If you know how to edit the registry you may want to try that and look for enteries regarding the NVidia drivers.

Have you performed any 'system restores' ? This could bring back old registry enteries that aren't applicable to your drivers.

FYI, the nVidia 29.80 reference drivers were leaked late yesterday evening. You can download them from the drivers pages of the GainwardUSA.com website. These are the nVidia drivers, they are not Gainward-specific.

I'm currently stable with 29.42 so I'll probably stick with those, but if you're having big troubles, it can't hurt to try the latest.

(I believe 29.42 is the latest WHQL version, which Cyrano mentioned. BTW Cyrano, it's a 2GHz machine, you'd be terribly disappointed with a 2MHz machine... :D )