Help with Elite Reinforcements

I am new at the game. I started the 1939 campaign as axis and found I could not reinforce my units with elite reinforcements. The elite reinforements option was grayed out on the drop down menu that comes up when you right click a unit. Regular reinforcements and all other options were available. I know you can't get elite reinforcements for units that are adjacent to enemy units. Are there any other restrictions that I don't know about? Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

How much experience does the unit have? The bars, flags, stripes, whatever you call them, reminicent of Panzer Generaly, affect how many elite replacements a unit can have. One bar = 11 str max, 5 bars = 15str max. And elite replacements can only be added at 1 strength per turn.

Elite Reinforcements come only with 1 Solid Bar of Experience Per... with the Siberian Transfers and with no other units I'm aware of to start the game off has experience already, save Partisans...

I do not recall reinforcing a partisan to 1 elite

the Reinforcement is handy for many reasons, I think the Morale Readiness and ability to kill and not be killed so easily makes them quite handy. However reinforcing them from strength 10 to 11, and so forth takes them out of action, so it something to do in the Winter or Muddy months.. When they're not being used..

I rarely see experience 12 being exceeded in the current platform.. I suppose Navy's COULD really benefit great but land units lose too much strength to gain much from elites

Same reason you can't "tech up" units that are adjacent to the enemy: to make qualitative upgrades to unit strength more difficult.

At some point, I guess, the idea is that units have to be pulled out of the line to rest, reequip and retrain.

At this game's level of focus or abstraction, I doubt that arguments about how reinforcements reach the front make much sense.