Mac OS X 10.2 compatibility

Neither CM will run under X or Classic.

You will need to install OS 9.2.2 and run it with the Classic Rave Extension turned off.

This works fine on my machine(dual 867 with Nvidia Gforce 4MX), but some who have a ATI 9000 video card are having problems with textures.

It runs fine on my machine and I am very pleased with the performance.

Okay, thanks, but what about 9.0.4? That's what I have now... BTW, are later versions of CM going to be compatible with OS X? It seems to me that BTS is alienating a large portion of the Mac market with the lack of OS X compatibility...

Ryan

[ November 15, 2002, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Panther G ]

Originally posted by Panther G:

Okay, thanks, but what about 9.0.4?

You're probably okay. I ran BO on 8.6 for a couple of years. Then I moved up to 9.1 and that worked okay too. Now I am on 9.2.2 and everything is still fine.

BTW, are later versions of CM going to be compatible with OS X?
That is hoped by all concerned, including BTS.

It seems to me that BTS is alienating a large portion of the Mac market with the lack of OS X compatibility...
That's been proposed before. What exactly would you have them do? Be specific. It would require a profound rewrite of the program, which is scheduled to happen next anyway. Meanwhile, so far as I know, there is no magic wand that can be waved to make CM X-compatible. Welcome to the real world where life can be hard and you don't always get what you wish for.

Michael

I just got a new Ibook and am very happy to report that booting to 9.2, installing game and running from there is working ok - just started game and ran a few turns and all is ok. I have done nothign with any extensions as I read others have had to do. This is great as CM is my favorite game and the Mac is my favorite computer. will report back if any problems occur as I play further - best of luck fellow Mac users.

Originally posted by kmead:

Neither CM will run under X or Classic.

CMBO will run under Classic with ClassicRAVE disabled, but you only get software rendering in that mode. Even on my old G3/300 with 4 MB vram it's tolerable for small to medium scenarios.

As far as I've been able to tell CMBB won't run under X with or without classic.

That's been proposed before. What exactly would you have them do? Be specific. It would require a profound rewrite of the program, which is scheduled to happen next anyway. Meanwhile, so far as I know, there is no magic wand that can be waved to make CM X-compatible. Welcome to the real world where life can be hard and you don't always get what you wish for.
I don't know, I was just observing what I see happening. I wasn't proposing a remedy, just making an observation. And, I belive I already am in the real world, so why the welcome?

My understanding is that combat mission uses quickdraw for mac, instead of OpenGL (please tell me it i'm wrong!). OSX doesn't support quickdraw, and so OpenGL must be used. Has BFC looked at Quesa (www.quesa.org)? Quesa allows quickdraw to OpenGL conversion, and works under OSX. It should be relatively easy to recode CM to use quesa under OSX.

Tom

Originally posted by Panther G:

I wasn't proposing a remedy, just making an observation. And, I belive I already am in the real world, so why the welcome?

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. It's just that we've had some really tiresome folks come on the board and demand X-compatibility right now! and I thought you were starting down that road.

I'm sure that all things being equal, BST would heap rather CM were X-compatible too, but like I said, that's going to have to wait for the engine rewrite. But since that's the next big thing on the agenda, it should be along as soon as possible. In the meanwhile, there's going to be a time lag of a couple of years during which we Mac users are just going to have to be satisfied with a work around.

There's much worse things in life; this seems pretty trivial to me.

Michael