So I bought World At War as a holdover for SC2

What a mistake that was for me.

It is definitly NOT my type of WW game. My biggest gripe with SC is map size and tech research because I find it too luck based.

But map size is the biggy, in SC you can't do flank maneuveurs or gather troops somewhere and spring them in a surprise counter attack, not even in Russia we have this big red line that gets created and the axis try and push through.

Well in WAW it is even worse, they are NO tiles or hexes, france for example is split in 3 parts!

Spain is just one part, so is every other country except Russia but the front line is just 4 parts (sections). There is not troop "movement" you just put them in this one part, section or big tile (or whatever).

Basically it feels like a heavily modified Axis & Allies. I really don't enjoy those types of WW game, they just don't feel "WW" as in big.

Anyways, still stuck having to wait for SC2 and now I'm stuck with a game I don't enjoy :( .

Yes there is way, we all know it, but overall you can't go and do very much in terms of troop movements.

Forget Russian troops encercling the enemy or preparing some troops for a surprise attack.

Not much in terms of maneuvers.

WAW is even worse, just think Axis&Allies type of movement.

I would like to see more in terms of troop movements (including armies brought to the other end of the country by train). As far as I can see from the screenshots, SC2 will offer a greater level of detail so maybe there is a chance to surround an army or two. And, if we are going after what-if scenarios, we can even try to develop the attack and reach Rostov immediately from Stalingrad cutting the German front into two pieces. But we will see when the game is released.

SC1 is enjoyable in this sense in that it allows the attacker to coordinate the movement of armor units rear of the line after the front line has attacked. One way to add mobility to frontline war would be to allow for stacking of armor units with infantry units.

Two benefits:

1) Armor units following breakthrough would have increase mobility.

2) Strategy would be more effective at geo-political bottlenecks where offensive breakthroughs are all but impossible currently.

KOZEMEISTER