quick Q on protection...

Just wondering, and want to verify before buying the download version...

Whats the protection, can I download on my desktop, save to disk and install on my laptop (I like playing these games at work, saving desktop playing for the high intense games)...

My laptop doesn't have internet, so it couldn't do a check on it... don't want it if can't take on my laptop trips... so any info would be appreciated.

Hi!

Check out this eLicense F.A.Q.

It should answer most if not all questions. But for your convenience:

can I download on my desktop, save to disk and install on my laptop
Yes. With each license you get the ability to install the game on as many computers as you like, in fact. But you can only have it licensed on two of them at the same time. The license is mobile, however, so even after installing and licensing it on one computer, you can later unlicense it (and uninstall or even keep it installed, doesn't matter), and re-license somewhere else.

If your laptop does not have an internet connection, that's no big deal either. It is a lot more convenient to do the licensing if you have internet connection, but it's not required. You have the option to do an "off-line" license. What you do is install the game on your laptop and prompt "off-line license". A coded file is generated which you can save to disk and transfer to a computer with an internet connection (e.g. your desktop or an internet cafe or your work computer). You then run the licensing process from there, copy the response file to disk again and transfer it back to your laptop. You can now license it on the laptop without going online.

Off-line licensing is a little more hassle obviously then when you have internet connection, but it works.

Martin

I must say that I am pleased with how BF has decided to license this game. I think it is fairly progressive of them to allow this form of two-machine license, so people like me can have the game on their main desktop and their laptop. No intrusive copy-protection like Star Force or disc-in-drive requirements. Very nice! My only hope is that I never lose a hard drive and the license. For now I only have it installed on my laptop, so even if I do lose it, at least I still have a backup license.

Actually even after a hard drive crash, there is a decent chance that the eLicense system "remembers" your license so that you are able to re-license. Doesn't always work, but a hard drive loss does not automatically mean the loss of your license, either.

Martin