Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Weird foliage tiles in CMBO

Image1.jpg?bcU03o9A1dIsu4qu

Originally I was having problems with CMBO quitting to the desktop when I'd click on the map during the movie section of a PBEM. So, it was suggested that I download the latest driver for my video card. Which I did. Then this occurred. I installed the DX81 engine and it still didn't help.

I'm running on a Compaq Presario, 191 mgs of ram, Intel Celeron 533 MHz, with an Intel 810 chipset graphics driver. I downloaded the Win9xe67 driver and the DX81 engine. I'm on Windows 98.

Anybody got any clues?

Also, the original problem started right after I had downloaded some new bldg mods. I have since reinstalled CMBO, dumping all my mods and just going with what came with the CD.

[ September 08, 2002, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Boo_Radley ]

If it annoys you enough, downgrade your video driver. Sometimes Intel introduces bugs with new releases of their video drivers.

I suggest downloading a version that was either your original version or something older than the latest, which you can get from the same site that you downloaded this driver from. I have no idea which driver won't have this problem, since it may have existed for quite a while.

Typically when you upgrade video drivers it's recommended that you have the latest version of DirectX installed prior to upgrading the driver. Most of the newer video drivers require DirectX 8.1 (though they don't necessarily support all the features of the latest version of DirectX). Next you will want to uninstall your current video driver and either go to a generic VGA/SVGA or an uninstalled driver. Some versions of Windows have drivers for the chipset and will automatically load those, which should generally be OK. After this then install the latest driver. Hopefully there won't be any inappropriate registry entries or .DLLs from the previous version that can cause problems.

In this particular case the foreground texture's transparency area is completely clipping textures in the background. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anything in particular to change this behavior (I don't think PowerStrip has much in the way of DirectX adjustments for these chips). So you need to downgrade. This may take a bit of experimentation to find the version that doesn't have this bug (assuming you weren't seeing it before), but also doesn't have other bugs that effect CM or other games you may play.