Questions about Time Scale

On default, 1939 Fall Weiss campaign plays on Seasonal Alternate Turns.

How many turns does a player have in one year?

There are 56 weeks in the year, but the calendar advances each time any of the two players has a turn. So you are down to 26 turns. Then Fall and Spring move twice as fast as summer, and, winter moves four times as fast. Does that mean you only have 13 turns per year?

If so, action points represent average distance covered by a unit during a 4 week lunar month? And production points represent average lunar month production? ...and the same for research?

Summer: weekly, 2 turns/month, total 6

Fall/Spring: 1 turn/month, 3 each, total 6

Winter: 1 OR 2

So that's 13 or 14 turns per player per year. Winter,

which operates on a monthly scale, will let one

player get just one turn in, while the other guy

gets two. If I were HC I'd have just two "winter"

months, thus equalizing the number of turns.

I don't know when it shifts and the other player

then gets the extra turn, tho I'm sure Terif is

well aware of that... :D

Thanks John,

So, if I want to have Daily Alternate Turns without altering production levels, I would need 14 day long daily alternate turns, which would add up to 13 turns per year... right?

This in turn would reduce by half the number of summer months... Which in turn would greatly favor the defender... right?

So if you want to have daily turns, maybe you should have seven day turns, and reduce production by half for every country... right?

Originally posted by ev:

Thanks John,

So, if I want to have Daily Alternate Turns without altering production levels, I would need 14 day long daily alternate turns, which would add up to 13 turns per year... right?

This in turn would reduce by half the number of summer months... Which in turn would greatly favor the defender... right?

So if you want to have daily turns, maybe you should have seven day turns, and reduce production by half for every country... right?

Right.

Right.

Wrong. IMHO you will favor the attacker ALOT when you would double the amount of turns, it would unbalance the game totally. Then there is no way you can defend Russia even with half the MPPs for the attacker.

Originally posted by TaoJah:

IMHO you will favor the attacker ALOT when you would double the amount of turns, it would unbalance the game totally. Then there is no way you can defend Russia even with half the MPPs for the attacker.

...mhm.

OK, let's see if we can somehow get around this problem. If we have 7 day turns, we have the same number of summer days we currently have, but we have twice as many fall and spring turns and four times as many winter turns.

This favors a player attacking through the fall, winter, and spring... because it has more turns to take more cities. (It does not affect summer because in the standard seasonal scenario summer turns were already 7 day turns.)

So the problem is mud and winter...

What if we increase the winter and mud penalties? Would that do the trick?

No,I don't think that would do the trick. Winter and mud turns are VERY usefull for the attacker too, they're used to take away entrenchements, rebuild / overstrength units, and on mud turns gain important aircraft experience...

I think that the time-turns is a very, very, very delicate balance that is not easy to change. The only way to do it is to try it and play it a dozen times...