I've got to admit I don't understand Russian nactivation as well as I should. I think I understand the Warsaw and similar Garrisons and having too many or too few troops on the border. I'm clear which countries an Axis DOW can trigger Soviet activation. However, in a current PBEM game the Russian readyness climbed much faster than I expected. I was trying to do Barbarossa early 42 and ended up late 41 (luckily with good weather).

On the whole this is a GOOD thing, not keen on games with clockwork precision, it forced me to adapt my strategy in the light of circumstances. Definately with those who want slightly higher random element in events and activation scripts. For example, rather than 1-3% increase in readyness I'd like a wider spread (say -1, 0, +1, 2, 3, 4, 6). Think this is a very good part of the dilpomacy system - there big diplomatic breakthroughs are possible.

BUT I'm curious - could an experienced player run through the Russian activation triggers in full, please?

Hyazinth: Late 41 isn't too bad - I'd made a few provocative attacks on minors and got one diplomacy hit myself. The surprise element completely changed my strategy though (as I say, a good thing) - a significant part of the German army was in middle east at the time. Decided to keep them there for a while - making for an interesting game.

Was trying to attack as soon as sun came out in '42 though.

Why is taking Middle East then up into Turkey form the Middle East into the Caucasus consider gamey? After all many people believe that is how Hitler should of done it. Now I can see leaving the Middle East alone and only going through Turkey from the west as gamey but I see a 'Middle East' gambit as fair.

Originally posted by Rolend:

Why is taking Middle East then up into Turkey form the Middle East into the Caucasus consider gamey? After all many people believe that is how Hitler should of done it. Now I can see leaving the Middle East alone and only going through Turkey from the west as gamey but I see a 'Middle East' gambit as fair.

So do I, put there is an issue with Egypt being too easy to take. It should fall if you send in the proper troops, but not like a deck of cards.

@ Rolend: Why I consider this as gamey? Yeah maybe Hitler should have done it. But SC2 works different than reality... one reason why the advance on Alexandria failed were the long supply lines, because the supply system in SC2 (capturing a city with supply level5) doesn`t work in reality. Bringing all the supplies to the middle East and capture Turkey from the southeast in two turns wouldn`t have worked in reality.. it is just exploiting the weakness of the game engine. Honestly it is isn`t really gamey, but I don`t like it... but that`s up to each player himself.

In June 41 just 2 german divisions were occupied in northern Africa, but 67 on the eastern front.. when you deploy a third of your active fighting force in Africa as Germany, it isn´t really following the historic war path... but of course it is allowed :)

What I just want to say: of course everyone is free in his actions, but I simply find the game too easy when the Axis plays that strategy against an unprepared Allied player... nothing else... just like in other threads: no DoW on Turkey in 1.02.... maybe later.