With Fog of War on, I'm surprised to see that an advancing unit does not lose the initiative when they come in contact with a previously hidden enemy. They are still allowed to attack which defeats the purpose of FOW, as I think it would be better served if enemy contact resulted in the lose of initiative to the attacker, and they suffer an attack without the ability to counter. With no initiative lost, a player can simply forge ahead and not be concerned about "enemy contact" doing much damage.

Is there a negative combat modifier that I am not aware of? I have had some successful attacks agianst "enemy contact" units so I'm not certain...Discovery of hidden units becomes too easy if there are no penalties with enemy contact...

I see it like this : an army that takes 2 weeks to go from point A to point B, cannot be TOTALLY surprised that there is an army or corps at place B. Even at sea (except perhaps for submarines) : no matter how surprised you are that there is a fleet at point B, there is no chance that you can not take a shot at it.

So, it doesn't bother me that they don't loose all their attack power, no.