Usefullness of anti tank units

After playing a number of turns in different scenarios, I have arrived at the following tenuous, approximate, and perhaps faulty conclusions.

Artilery units are incredibly powerful, especially with their defensive fire option which basically negates an ennemy attack on one of my units. Is this too strong ?

However AT guns ont he other hand seem rather poor, since it requires little effort to line up an infantry unit in front of it and blowing it to peaces. Better to simply upgrade units with anti tank levels.

AA units, I don't have a feel for yet.

Any thoughts on this ?

Originally posted by Myrmidon:

However AT guns ont he other hand seem rather poor, since it requires little effort to line up an infantry unit in front of it and blowing it to peaces.

That's not a specific weakness of the AT unit, because it is to kill as hard or as easy as an ordinary corps.

I find ATs useful, even if they go frequently in the recycling queue. They are cheap to rebuild and they slow down the powerful tanks. Either the opponent avoids to attack them with his tanks, or he has to reinforce his tanks more often and pay the price.

I agree with your assessment, that artillery is strong. That's the way it should be, because it was strong in real life, too.

Artillery is especially useful to reduce the entrenchment of an unit in a fortress.

So far, I have use only the AA, that came with the Siberian reinforcement. I think it is useful. Since an (upgraded) air unit is expansive, an occasional hit now and then is enough, to justify the use of the AA in terms of MPP effectiveness.

Artillery: I disagree. They are not too strong. On the offensive they have the disadvantage that they cannot move and shoot and vice versa. On the defensive they are only a little more useful. The damage they cause is generally poor and can be ignored. They have, however, the remarkable ability to shoot at ships.

AA units: only useful for the Germans on the Western Front.

AT units: only good for garrison duty. Except when you're playing the Russians and facing a tank-heavy German assault.

So far finding AT very useful, soviet motorised AT units sit behind a city/fort/infantry screen and come out to finish off the tanks that have been damaged destroying that screen. they don't last long but are quick to rebuild and cheap. do a lot of MPP damge to expensive German tanks. Against a human player I think they could probably be negated more easily.

as regards artillery. my money is on Terif's first Waw wonder strategy involving artillery. going to take a smarter man that me but I think there's a few tricks to using them and I haven't figuredit out yet.

AA might be a game winner too.....time will tell