Ideas needed for possible "seismic flu" issue

My battles with NG cavscout are on hold because my computer has come up with a remarkable failure mode I've never seen before. I think it's low grade seismic flu related (details of the full version of that phenomenon at link)

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=026521;p=4

seeing as how it has not only been accompanied by a bunch of other electronic problems (Skype not recognizing Vonage or other calls, crash wiped out pending approvals and password settings, glacially slow or no Yahoo e-mail) , but because a bunch of other people I know are also reporting all sorts of strange electronic problems with their computers, phones, Internet, etc. In one case, the whole office phone network was affected.

At a gaming level, the problems that I face range from relatively mundane but annoying very long boot times and inappropriate crash messages (no crash occurred) to the truly galling, yet simple, inability to change the PBEM turn number because the window doesn't work, often accompanied by full blown display freeze so complete I have to turn the computer off at the surge protector, since no other method works. Not only have I flushed the caches in both OS 9.2.2 amd OS X 10.4.8, but I rebuilt the Desktop and dumped the Prefs file for the earlier OS. Some five tries later, the problem remains. Until it's solved, no Tiger Valley or Trappen Jagd for NG cavscout et moi.

Anyone ever encountered this particular problem or set thereof before? The lampshade iMac seems much more resistant to seismic flu than the Gen One iMac did, and not being among three faults helps, too, but I'm still dead in the water until I find a fix or whatever's jamming my rig releases and stops emitting. I should also add that specialized scientific monitoring confirms that crustal strain is very high in several localish areas, reinforcing the seismic scenario.

Regards,

John Kettler