Coloured Lines

I've just reinstalled CM to my pc & still have problem with the above: which are meant to display info about (a) LOS and (B) whether a unit is within command range of leader.

(a) When checking LOS the line drawn on the screen stubbornly remains blue (lighter or darker) ie. never red/black

(B) line drawn to subordinate units remains light blue ie. is never black/brown

Ideas anyone?

Unfortunately your S3 video chip is a bit dated. There are some newer drivers available than what Windows 98 provides, but I don't know if (and don't think) they will fix the particular problem you're seeing in CM. The latest version is 4.03.00.2111-3.12.01-PR (which you should be able to find at Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on Display Adapters > double-click on your listed S3 display adapter > Driver tab > Driver File Details button > The .DRV and .VXD files (other than VDD.VXD) should give you the version of your driver).

You can get the latest official driver from S3 here. You'll need to click in the "Fourth" area on the "here" link (note the login info in this area). Then select the Virge 375. The first driver listed is the newest.

However, as I mentioned it may not fix your problem. If it is annoying enough you may want to reduce your 'hardware acceleration' to see if it will make a difference (System control panel > Performance tab > Graphics button > move slider to the left one click and check (possibly afer rebooting) CM). This typically only affects 2D, but may affect 3D performance (and possibly have CM redetect your card as being non-3D capable).

Your help was not only prompt but correct (nearly), thanks very much.

I downloaded the latest S3 drivers ... no luck.

I downgraded Hardware accleration one notch ... no luck.

Two notches & 1 reboot later CM made me accept 640*480 pixels and BINGO - coloured lines. The reduced pixelation doesn't seem to be a problem and the map scrolling is a bit clunky, but I've got an added source of info. Everything was exactly where you said it would be with your estimation of utility accurate as well.

Outstanding.