Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flashing White Shadow Graphics

My copy of CMBB, which until today had been working quite nicely, has developed a problem. Vehicle shadows, rather than appearing as shadows, are white and flash rapidly in an unpleasant and distracting fashion. Also, the lower screen, where unit data is displayed also has portions that appear white and flashing. The problem disappears for a few seconds from time to time, but just as suddenly reasserts itself. It is also affected when I move the camera around the battlefield. I have attempted to add a screenshot to this post illustrating the problem, but being a computer dunce I cannot determine how to do so. (I can make a screen shot, but dragging the icon onto this post does not seem to do the trick here. Presumably there is some other technique that eludes my grasp.)

I suspect that the problem is the result of having installed new drivers for my Radeon 7200 video card yesterday, or perhaps updating to Direct X 9, which was also yesterday. As I mentioned above, CMBB was working fine before that. What can I do? I hate to sound as if having CMBB running smoothly is more important than life itself, but, of course, it is.

It is probably your Catalyst driver upgrade for your Radeon that is the culprit here. I suggest downloading the previous driver version that was working fine for you and then uninstalling your current driver (hopefully it will appear in the Add/Remove Programs control panel).

Depending on which Windows version you have, when you reboot (after uninstalling the new drivers) you will be prompted for the drivers or Windows will automatically detect your video card and install drivers for it. If Windows prompts you for driver disks, etc. then skip it and either let it install a SVGA driver or nothing at all. Now you can install the older Catalyst driver you had (which should hopefully take) and after rebooting you should be OK.

It is possible that DirectX 9.x is at fault (in conjunction with the Catalyst drivers), but I assume that just down-grading your driver version should be sufficient to correct this problem.