Retreated in Russia vs A.I. Axis

I tried a game, for experimental purposes with fog of war off, to see what the AI would do with the Axis forces in Russia. As the Russian, I retreated all the way to the Volga, just offering empty cities to the computer to see what it would do. It was very timid about advancing.

There was one Greek unit left in the capital, so the Axis had a whole pile of Italian and a few German units there. Meanwhile, it had 3 German HQ's stacked up in the area of Riga, supporting the assault on Leningrad. Too many HQ's for the number of Axis units by Leningrad.

One would have to be very feeble to lose to the Axis AI.

Interesting. I haven't played as the Allies yet, I've only started my first game in the North African campaign, playing as Axis and doing pretty well so far. The British AI is playing strangely, making attacks with one or two units without any support and being annhilated as a result. The most annoying thing is the slowness with which the PC does its 'thinking'!

The British AI is playing strangely, making attacks with one or two units without any support and being annhilated as a result.
Tancred,

First Patch will help the AI,

In general,

And in specific for this and other

Scenarios.

When you are Axis,

Play... beginner, with +1 for opponent experience.

Also,

At game start** "un-check"

Boxes 2-6, IE, leaving the first one,

Which is assignment of a naval bomber

To Crete.

**[... game start -> advanced -> scripts -> unit]

That way Axis won't get ANY random units,

Whereas the Allies will likely get

One, or possibly 2,

Given the random chances for arrival.

Finally,

Go into Editor and correct an error.

Click on "combat target values"

Then Malta,

Then change bomber strike-range to "10."

Do these things and I bet you'll have

Tough time taking El Alamein.

If you are still winning too easily,

Bump up the difficulty one more level.

Insofar as playing as Allies,

Same as above.

Any and all comments and suggestions

Are appreciated. smile.gif

[ May 02, 2006, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

Originally posted by Panzerkiel:

I tried a game, for experimental purposes with fog of war off, to see what the AI would do with the Axis forces in Russia. As the Russian, I retreated all the way to the Volga, just offering empty cities to the computer to see what it would do. It was very timid about advancing.

There was one Greek unit left in the capital, so the Axis had a whole pile of Italian and a few German units there. Meanwhile, it had 3 German HQ's stacked up in the area of Riga, supporting the assault on Leningrad. Too many HQ's for the number of Axis units by Leningrad.

One would have to be very feeble to lose to the Axis AI.

Yeah, you can't lose to the AI as Allies because it isn't efficient enough in attack. When I last played as Russia, I just used a bend but don't break strategy and set up strong perimters around key cities letting Germans advance all they want in the wilderness regions.

By the time the Siberian troops arrived, I had already reached equilibrium and was starting to push back. The Siberian troops turned it from a slight edge to a complete route and I met the Allies in Paris.

I find the Axis side a little tougher to play against the AI since it does a decent job of defending cities.