Question from a Noob II

1. Why are the killed units so much cheaper when you re-buy them? Are they just as powerful as the first time around (have * by them in buy menu)

2. Strategic units are extremely expensive. Is it worth building them just to knock off some MPP from the enemy or should I focus on tactical combat units?

3. I know Free French units have a 20% chance to go to the UK control. If the air unit is in the UK and the ships are in a UK port do they have a greater chance? Seems dumb if they don't.

4. Do units have a "maintenance expense"? So is it cheaper to kill off ships that have a value of one because you can't afford to reinforce them or is it better to just move them out of the way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Not all of the unit is destroyed. The unit is routed and not all its men are dead (if in supply 1-10).

2) Strategic bombers removes 2 entrench points per attack instead of one. Also it reduces effectiveness of ressources, possibly reducing the supply of your ennemy. So, they are very far from only an economic weapon. Also, bombing a port sending or receiving a convoy shuts down this very lucrative mpps source. They are useful for some operations but, most often, 2 corps are better value for your money.

3) They don't.

Originally posted by vector:

2. Strategic units are extremely expensive. Is it worth building them just to knock off some MPP from the enemy or should I focus on tactical combat units?

Try Bombers sometime, they rock. Bomb the snot out of Paris and Brest and the Axis can't bring in reinforcements to stop D-Day. The UK Bomber is very important in the early game to close down ports and delay a Sealion. Later, you can close down the Nordic convoys by bombing Kiel (Long Range req'd). Lots of nasty things for the Axis to do also. Rockets, they've never really been worth the cost to me compared to Bombers. Plus, they don't spot other units.

And there's no maintenance cost on ships. You should always try to save them by moving them out of harm's way. You might want to reinforce them later and they take forever to build.

Bombers are fancy weapons, it's not so easy to knock out supply in Paris or Brest, There are potentially several other locations for which the Axis may operate in reinforcements or merely drive them in with motors... There are places where a bomber is to die for though. For instance if the Axis try to flank you in Syria, 2 or 3 bomb strikes from Egypt might knockout Syria altogether as a Supply depot and cost the Axis several turns. Various other locations this Bomber can be used. On Malta it increases the Malta Effect or at least that is what I heard in the earlier versions...

It's excellent for pounding German and French Mines smile.gif beware of AA, it'll evaporate a Bomber