Global War AAR (Timskorn/Axis vs. Zinfandel/Allies)

It is currently September, 1941. The German war machine has taken Poland, France, Belgium, Denmark, Norway, Vichy France, Algeria and Tunisia. The Japanese have been busy fighting the Chinese for a year. It's been a brutal fight, but the Chinese have been broken and sent west. However, time is no longer on our side. The US Congress has voted to cut off all oil shipments to Japan. Germany is pushing for Japan to attack the Russians from the east. War seems inevitable, but there simply isn't enough resources at hand to take on Russia or the US…or worse, both!

With China in check, Japan decides to re-organize their divisions there to begin operations in oil-rich Southeast Asia. Some Generals argue against such a move with the Chinese on the run and only rag-tag militia standing between them and the capital. But China is too large, and rebels have been successful cutting supply lines. Even if China was captured entirely, it would take too long and reap little benefit. Japan must expand to support their military needs!

Meanwhile, General Bock breaks through El Alamein and faces off with the remnants of the Commonwealth forces defending Cairo and Alexandria, but their time is limited in the face of overwhelming Axis troops. The German U-Boat fleet is growing and has been tasked with hitting Britain's shipping lanes off the western coast of Africa.

In July, 1941 Barbarossa kicks off with heavy armor divisions and infantry cutting a swath all the way to Moscow and Volgograd (sp?). Very little Russian resistance so far, but being so close to Moscow it is tempting to push for it before winter sets in. The problem now is, the Generals have yet to catch up with their blitzing army and panzer divisions. If the Luftwaffe and supply can catch up in time, Rundstedt will be charged with taking Moscow.

Notes: This is my first time playing the Global Mod for SC2 and it's pretty awesome. I'm not sure how the AI is, but against a human opponent it's great. I can't say what the balance is like yet, but for the Germans it feels fairly similar. Map is a little smaller but it seems to work out just fine. France fell in July of 1940 and was able to put up a good fight because there was less room to manuever. Having double-strike armor here would have been the perfect situation to represent the benefits of "blitzing" armor units, where limited space prevents more than 2-3 units from attacking at once.

The scripts have been great. Lots of similar ones, but some cool new ones too that add a lot of flavor. The Japan-China war alone has a bunch! I don't want to detail too much for anyone who hasn't played yet, as part of the fun is experiencing them for the first time.

Playing as Japan is a fun, new experience. Right off the bat you're fighting the Chinese, all the while knowing that war will come against the US someday. At first your MPP income is sufficient, but in order to expand your military, research and fight in China effectively you realize you're going to need more MPP's, and soon. But how soon? Do you try and expand earlier and risk being possibly unprepared to fight America? Eventually they cut off oil shipments, further shrinking your income.

One thing is for sure, I love the global war. It'll be hard to go back to the Euro-only map after this, considering you still pretty much still have it in this mod.

I have one of these going also. Really good against a longtime opponent and the feel is something like it must have been for the original constituents, intangibles.

Tiger is right, first timers don't read the scripts, your knowledge of WW2 is advantage enough, thrive on the surprises.

WaW adaptation will be awesome, especially if we can get some dynamic features for the Pacific theater.