Hi,

While waiting patiently for SC2, I plan to buy either Anglo-German War, or The First Blitzkrieg this week.

Can someone please recommend which game they feel is superior, and why? The most important features for me are a strong AI, smooth interface, nice graphics and light micromanagement. Basically I’m looking for the game that most closely resembles a classic war board game. Thanks in advance!

Well I ordered AGW last week, and it should be arriving any day now.

I chose this over TFB, as I already have a couple of HPS games and wanted to diversify a little.

Why AGW?

1. Hexes

2. Devoted fan base from previous release, and responsive developer and patch history.

3. Unit graphics look old school, which appealed!

4. Looks like a board game, (I'm getting tired of what appears to be a graphical convergence of games into a single icon type- where the only difference is the game engine and interface.

5. Couldn't wait for SC2. (will still get it anyway).

6. The developer's website: -design philosophy also appealed

Once I get a handle on the game, I'll give some comment if requested...

regards

A.S.

Thanks for your replies!

Kuniworth, I clearly stated that I was waiting to buy SC2, and will certainly purchase it as soon as it is released. But since the release date is still unknown, I'm looking for a decent game to play while waiting. I posted here because of my three years or so of reading this forum. Most people here seem very knowledgeable about these types of games, and I trust their opinions. I have read some of the other web reviews, but I wanted some additional input before making my decision.

Does AGW dea with resources, tech advances etc, or is it more you have a Standard order of battle and must fight it out in a purely historical fashion. I read hte wargamer review and did not see any references to this type of play. I prefer games that allow for some change in strategy that could affect different outcomes, even if it still means an Axis loss. Maybe a loss in a different way, not just a historical fashion.

@Konigs,

Still waiting for the arrival, but I'll keep you posted. I hope it's not too bogged down in diplomacy, tech, building etc... If I wanted a game like that I'd keep playing Civ II.

I assume that it once a player departs from historical moves or strategies the A.I (C.O), will react accordingly; ie. non-historical outcomes...