Yalta - The Big3 Meeting

During WWII the leaders of the Free world- Churchill, Stalin and Roosevelt met with great fanfare, and great risk. What if the game recreated this event?

For example - Once during each game, iF the three leaders of the Major allied nations (one unit counter for each one) traveled to a specific place where these counters were adjacent to each other and each returned to their country then the Allies would receive a free Diplomatic Chit. IF the Axis powers managed to destroy one of these units then the Axis powers would receive a free diplomatic chit. Now the Allies have a choice, do we risk sending our leaders to meet with our allies or do we keep our leaders safe at home.

I was trying to think of a way for the Allies to earn extra diplomacy chits without having to purchase them via the Yalta meeting. Of course, its not without risk, the Axis powers have a chance to intercept and destroy one of these political leader counters. Some of my ideas have legs and others, such as this one apparantly have none.

SeaMonkey

By Jove this is very interesting!

In game terms it might be interesting if the AI, as the Allies, had to decide at some point what the meeding ground would be for the East and West and somehow have that incorporated in the gameplay. Naturally the human Axis player wouldn't know what the agreement was.

What has rarely been mentioned is when the agreement was made between the Western Allies and the USSR, Churchill and FDR feared the Russians would be at the Rhine before they'd gotten to Paris! It was only after drawing the lines on maps that the westerners understood the Red Army's logistical problems and also that it's pace would grow ever slower as it moved further into Europe.

JJ, you need to axe the ][ between the first URL and the =, then you can take away the [] enclosing "The Writing Club". smile.gif

This post brought to you by Shosties4th, personal sig manager for JerseyJohn. :rolleyes::D

P.S. You can do a cut and paste dealie from here...

[XXX=http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Writing_Club/index.php?]The Writing Club Website[/XXX]

Replace the XXX with URL after pasting in.

The following is a test...

The Writing Club Website

Yeah, it's good to go. smile.gif

Shosties

I was hoping you'd advise me on this -- it's been driving me crazy and I can already walk there!

Appreciated as always.

Hopefully if you read this JP Wagner I'd like to direct you to that site where we've already had a great bunch of posts about Mahler, Bruckner, Brahms and all the rest of our old buddies -- hope to see you there (see new writer's site announcement on SC page for a reliable link to it if my signature still isn't functioning properly).

*blinks* I have no idea what you've done with it in the current state. Have you tried cut and paste of the bit I disabled by replacing URL with XXX?

EDIT: Ah, that's better! You just have the superfluous brackets enclosing the linkable text now, which you can delete if you want too.

EDIT REDUX: you've made a syntax error with the address, there is a repeat of "http://" that's throwing it off.

[ May 10, 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Shosties4th ]

Yes, but somehow it still isn't going through.

Looks like my 5000th post here will be in setting up the link to the new site, sort of ironic.

Then again, I have to confess two of those were double posts, so it's only 4998. :D

Going in for a nother try -- hopefully this one will work. I feel like the knights fighting that Killer Rabbit in Monty Python's Holy Grail! ;)

Hey, I did it, I figured it out and I did it!

[ducks as flying objects approach what remains of his head :D ]

My Thanks to you Sir, as always your assistance has been of the highest order. smile.gif

-- Jeez, on a more serious note I was planning to make my fourth retirement announcement with Post 5000 and now I can't -- No, no, folks, don't try to talk me out of it -- oh, all right, I'm cancelling it. :rolleyes:

Does this mean we are going to have Diplomatic Chits in SC2?
Yes. :cool:

I'll offer a personal opinion about "free" event-based diplomacy chits based on my A3R experiences years ago. One aspect about A3R's diplomacy system that I didn't care for was how game success would translate into diplomatic advantage. This may or may not have been historically accurate (who knows?) but was sure destabilizing as far as play balance was concerned. Like get Spain as an Axis minor with a lucky result, take Gibralter, gain diplomatic advantage in the process, and move on to overwhelm some other military or political objective. This "snowball effect" was more or less unforgiving. Believe me, I was on the receiving end during an AVALONCON game. :eek:

I believe diplomacy should be a subtle thing in a game like this. Like background music to the action happening on center stage, and NOT a main event unto itself. A poke here, a prod there, and perhaps change history with a lucky result. At least for a default game. With the editor, alternate ahistorical games with a whole lot more excitement are possible. ;)