Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unit Training & Reorganization

I remembered reading once than when German Units were badly mauled...that these units would be removed out of the line and sent to the back areas to be re-fitted with replacements and new equipment.

It was said too that the original core of veterans were able to bring that unit now composed mostly of Green troops up to veteran status in a very-short-time.

I don't know if other countries used a similar procedure or not. In any-case...this is something i wanted to mention.

So if you create an entirely New-Unit from scratch...they would not be able to gain experience points as rapidly as a re-constituted unit would.

Is this worth bothering with in this game?...perhap's not...but...it is interesting.

I agree Retributar, it is interesting.

A famous situation that arose from this was in the Arnhem Bridges operation late 1944. A British airbourne divisions assigned to the final bridge in that "A Bridge Too Far" Operation was coming down on a reorganizing SS Panzergrenedeir Division and close by the PanzerLehr Division was reorganizing after being virtually destroyed at St Lo. Allied intelligence dismissed various pieces of evidence including areal photos of isolated tanks in the area.

Unfortunately I think it would be very hard to incorporate that system in this kind of game.

In the actual war Hitler had an obsession with building new formations and often allotted the newest equipment to them. As they were made up of newly trained troops it usually meant his hardened veterans were given the older weapons. There are many instances of the German High Command having their priorities backwards.

I think it's interesting to speculate on how the German Army might have performed if it had the Soviet equipment doctrine, that of going for reliable equipment that could be easily produced in great abundance instead of much smaller quantities of (usually) superior weapons.