Early siberians / French defense

One of the biggest changes in patch 1.02 has been to move the failsafe date of the Siberian tanster to the beginning of 1942.

This has been done to increase the game balance and it works somehow stillat a high price. I have not seen one game as a allied player who had a chance if he doesnt start Barbarossa in latest July 1942. You dont have any choise anymore. As soon as you get this major force pool you always buy bakc the lost troops for half a price. The consequnces of this approach are:

Rusia only concentrates on tech: To get maxed out siberians and anyway you dont need to invest in troops anymore to stop the germans you get them for free...

Results are: Rusia will have higherr Tech than Germany (feels wrong) and it simply limits again game possibilities for different strategies (aka Sealion etc.)

The problem of version 1.00 that the axis was to strong (played in the right way) and one of the reasons from my point of view is that the french campaign was to easy. I don´t know why Hubert increased the defense of armies (which worked quite well) and left the defense of the french armies low. If he had changed the defense value of the armeis perhpas we would have seen a harde rfight for France => less preparation time for the axis for North Africa etc => weaker Barbarossa=> no need for the siverian ghost amies to save the day and game balance

I think Hubert should change the date back.

There are several ways to handle this, and you are correct that play balance is the issue. It always is with a game like SC2 because the German Player has so many options through '40 - '41. I did play one game (1.02) with strategy of delaying Russian and US entry as long as possible, while securing Iraq through diplo and taking Med. The Russians declared war in Germany in fall'42 and the US entry was Dec. '43. The Russian force and tech were impressive, but the Germans still took Moscow. Never got near Stalingrad, but then never made the effort. After taking two of the oil wells in the Caucauss there was no need. After that I focused on defending my fronts, diplo on spain (which the current AI does not counter) and held out till the end. Never even tried to take Britian. With 5 operational Subs in the Atlantic there is no need. I agree that against a human player (or addition of naval scripts) holding the west front may have proven too difficult since a large Russian force was a must till the end. But once a solid defensive line behind rivers - with fortifications was established the Russian AI could not break through. Oh, the Russian tech never did actually surpass the Germans except for Heavy Tank at the Dow. But, I modded my game to have the Russians focus on HT research.

Fratknock3r it isnt about that you can´t do it. Its about having the option to different strateigies and counterstrategies. Some of the changes in the last patch improved the balance alas taking away lot of hte fun of the game because if you want to win the number of ways to do it has been limited strongly.

Therefore my suggestion to give the french armies the same defense as all the other armies delaying France and delaying the whole buildup for Barbarossa etc.

Against the AI I always delay the Germans quite a bit. Actually, before the patching it was waaaay too much so that the game as Allies got boring because it always ended extremely early. (I know I could give the AI advantages, but I hate that.)

Actually that´s the reason why providing France the opportunity to have adequate doctrine, OOB and maybe even a maginot line up to the coast is not a serious choice in WW2 games: Players would not repeat the original French mistakes. Thus all games would boast a stalemate on the Western Front and an early Axis-defeat once Soviets jump in. Exciting, no? So this has nothing to do with not respecting the French or adoring the Germans - it´s just that people want a WW2 game. Having a chance to delay the Germans is fine, but stopping them for good is a game-breaker...

Sombra, I just read your AAR against Jollyguy. What happened to his Russia also happened to my Russia when I played you.

By the time the Siberians arrive and get into position (the armies and HQs are slow, especially if there's mud), the Germans have taken a lot of production cities and have decimated the Red Army in the process.

DT