Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

PC Crashing (Anyone got an S3 Twister?)

vbfg

Hi there,

My main PC blew a gasket last year so for a while I've been using a Shuttle SV25 small form factor PC as my main desktop. It's temporary until I sort out new bits for the other machine but it's temporary for a while yet.

This wasn't a problem because I could just about play CMBO on it. I was encouraged enough to g out and buy CMBB. This too worked but I had to uninstall CMBO to get it on. Rather than have to choose, I re-formatted the PC to get rid of unwanted crud (well, wanted but less important), re-installed from scratch and then installed them both.

Boy was that ever a bad idea. Now when I play either game lasts one turn. Everything appears to be going normally until I hit go gor the second time. It then gets part of the way through the first of the two calculations and the machine either locks up or restarts completely.

I'm sure it's a driver issue but I have no ideas what drivers I was using successfully before. Video is on-board S3 Twister. Terrible for purpose but, as I say, temporary. I can't put anything else in unfortunately as the PC has one PCI slot (and no AGP - that's on board) already occupied by a NIC.

If you have one of these things and CM working can you post your driver version? I just did the rounds and got the latest drivers for everything I have last week.

Failing that, any other suggesstions? I'm facing a couple of months without CM here. I need your help. smile.gif

Unfortunately I don't have access to a box that is using the S3 'shared memory' scheme. The one box that does have the S3 is using a GeForce2MX instead.

It's ironic that both games were apparently working before you wiped the system and started from scratch. This would initially suggest that something isn't quite correct with your configuration and/or drivers that you have loaded.

With your lockups occurring during a 'turn calculation' I wouldn't initially think that it would be the video drivers. However there have been past cases where this would occur and an update to the drivers (or some video-associated setup) fixed the problem.

You can follow these VIA -S3 instructions for getting the latest drivers that S3 provides (though you may need to run the S3ID utility to identify the correct driver). Shuttle says that the chip is based on the Savage4, but I don't know if using those drivers (or some of the third party ones you can find around the 'net) will work with the Twister integrated grahpics.

I don't see anything on Shuttle's site for downloading drivers. Was the driver on the CD what was loaded earlier or is this what you have loaded now ?

They have the latest and previous versions available and both give me the same problem. It's the one area of diversion from what I had before I can imagine. There are a few things I had installed that I don't now, Office for instance. It's XP Pro though and was before so any DLLs Office might try and replace ought to be more recent in the OS anyway.

Damn. Now I'm annoyed. I want to break something.

Have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers ? Not that I would imagine they would make a difference with an integrated video chipset. Have you run any 'Microsoft Updates' on your XP installation ? Do you have Service Pack 1 installed ? What resolution are you running at and have you tried to lower it (by deleting the Prefs file and selecting a lower resolution the next time you run CMBB) ? You may want to try 800x600 to see if it helps your situation. You may also want to experiment with the color depth (though CM is only 16-bit color) between 24/32-bit and 16-bit.

Have you tried turning off your sound to see if this makes a difference. Your sound drivers could be a potential problem too.

I've got SP1 installed. This is the same update level I was at previously. I'm careful not to mess around with Windows update because there's a post SP1 patch that modifies the behaviour of Media Player in a way I don't want it to but I don't know which one it is. The original reason for having this machine is for it to function as my DVD player so that's quite important to me.

For the sound I use a Creative Extigy, one of the external USB versions of the Audigy. I've only ever installed the software for this from the CD that came with it.

I've tried the different resolutions already too. Same issue. I tried earlier on after switching the video drivers and I got three turns out of CMBB. That's the most progress I've had so far, I almost made contact with the Russians. smile.gif

The chipset drivers are a good bet I think though. I'll give those a try. Thanks for taking the time out mate, really appreciate it.