Titles from Battlefront, Paradox, Matrix

There are obviously certain aspects of each game that are specific to their genre...I have said more than once that the HOI tech and research tree were very well thought out....when I refer to the "same game", I am refering to the realtime, control any country you want, ahistorical minor country supremency that was similiar in EU and HOI...when I played HOI, and watched Romania conquer eastern Europe, I threw up my hands in disgust...now I understand that the latest patches and C.O.R.E have improved HOI greatly, and I have in fact recently downloaded these to give HOI another shot, but I cannot be faulted for leaving the game when I did, because quite frankly, it was awful out of the gate and I moved on to better things...I do give the HOI community credit for their perserverence and how they may have managed to turn the game around...I haven't had time yet, but I will give it another try, hell I paid for the damn thing so I hope I get something out of it!

I played them all EU,EU2,HOI,CMBO,CMBB,TOAW,SC and many more. I loved them all and they were all giving me some addiction for some time. But whilst all other games except SC addicted me only for a couple of months....because MP in these other games never worked fine for me or they were just PBEM suited, SC is still addicting me as its the ultimate Multiplayer TCIP game.

I´m also looking forward to the former boardgames like empire in arms etc....as i m waiting since 10 years for it. ;)

For Vicky i ´m not sure if i should buy as it looks like HOI ....just another time period.

A revival of one of the first an best strategygames for its time period "History Line 1914-1918" would be also great. ;) ....should be a great MP game..

Originally posted by Dragonheart:

I played them all EU,EU2,HOI,CMBO,CMBB,TOAW,SC and many more. I loved them all and they were all giving me some addiction for some time. But whilst all other games except SC addicted me only for a couple of months....because MP in these other games never worked fine for me or they were just PBEM suited, SC is still addicting me as its the ultimate Multiplayer TCIP game.

I´m also looking forward to the former boardgames like empire in arms etc....as i m waiting since 10 years for it. ;)

For Vicky i ´m not sure if i should buy as it looks like HOI ....just another time period.

A revival of one of the first an best strategygames for its time period "History Line 1914-1918" would be also great. ;) ....should be a great MP game..

Like you I'm awaiting Empire in Arms and also Guns of August....hopefully GoA will be a nice WWI companion to SC2....

I have turned to another direction. Lets campaign for the people that made HTTR, to produce a Civil War game using that design.

I could care less what Paradox makes, and frankly, I don't even care if they ever figure out how to market good wargames.

I tend to distance myself from people that don't earn my respect let alone my money.

Or we can campaign for Battlefront to make a Napoleonic version of Combat Mission.

At least the people that made those games know what makes a good wargame a good wargame eh.

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

But I reserve the right to be as wrong as I was when I got excited about HoI smile.gif

I would love to see a single post of yours somewhere in an archive that indicated your prior "excitement".

Before the thing was even released you were bashing it. Heck, you bashed SC extremely hard (without even playing it, of course) based on the fact that you couldn't stack units ala A3R.

The trouble with you, Les, is that you stick your foot so deep in your mouth sometimes that it eventually comes out the other end; and even though the smell is considerably more abhorrent on the way out, you're one of those guys who like to pretend it didn't happen (whilst the rest of us are too polite to complain about the stench).

The irony in all this is that -- because you've gone so far out on a limb to criticize various games (HOI is not the only one) in which you possess not a smidgen of knowledge -- you'll never get to play them because so many folks will roast you alive due to your oft-outlandishly negative statements.

And it's too bad, really. Because I swear, deep down, I know that you would really like HOI. You're the kinda guy who could really get into a long, 12-hour multiplayer marathon (we have LAN parties where I live), wrestling with other leaders over strategies, stabbing allies in the back, and having fun doing it. I picture you playing a Churchill; a stubborn bulldog till the very end. But, still, a loyal ally when you needed him.

Take the plunge, Les. THEN let's see you flood the SC2 fora with loads of new ideas gleaned from another worthy game. HOI and its latest patch (the sixth, btw) have set in concrete what a grand strategy, WWII game can be. And, believe it or not, the folks at Paradox have that same level of outstanding dedication to strategy games that the folks at Matrix and Battlefront do. They're serious about their player base, too, and -- like many posts I've seen from designers in the SP fora -- the Paradox developers can often be spotted posting their comments and thoughts at all hours of the morning (Sweden time, of course)... because they're still at work tweaking code to accomodate players' requests.

You strike me as a stand-up guy when you want to be, Les. Come clean, drop the fundamentalism, and give it a serious shot. I would be more than happy to play HOI with you and show you the ropes.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to start showing up in an ASL forum talkin' smack about that game. I can say I've never played it, too (although I was, of course, "excited" about it before it went to print)! It'll be loads of blustering fun and we can switch sides for a change. ;)