How can I tell if DirectX is installed?

Is there any way to tell if DirectX is installed on a machine? I am attempting to load CM onto my PC at work, which runs Windows ME. Everything seems to be ok until the battlefield is shown, which then turns the entire screen white? DirectX seems to have been a culprit quite often in this area, so can anyone help me here?

Thanks

------------------

CrapGame

Buying CM for yourself is like giving lingerie to your significant other. It's the gift that keeps on giving back!

Windows ME comes with DirectX 7.1 (I believe) by default. Go to the Start Menu > Run > type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG.EXE. This should launch the DirectX Diagnostic. The first tab will tell you the version of DirectX that you're running.

What may be a more appropriate answer for your problem is the specific video drivers for your card. It sounds like you have either a Voodoo 3 or 4/5 series card (though the textures go white over time while playing CM). Tell us which video card you have and what drivers you have installed for it and we can give you some further info on your problem.

Gentlemen, thanks for the quick reply. As you stated, the Dxdiag says I have DX7.1 running. It appears to have drivers dated 6/8/2000. The card is a Trident Blade 3D, which is a 4MB card, and I can't tell what the driver is.

Any ideas as to where to go from here?

Thanks

------------------

CrapGame

Buying CM for yourself is like giving lingerie to your significant other. It's the gift that keeps on giving back!

CrapGame - Are you running a laptop or a desktop ? Trident has a website for the desktop version of the graphics chips.

Trident Blade 3D (click on the drop down list for the "Driver Download" in the upper left corner and select Blade 3D 9880):

http://www.tridentmicro.com/videcomm/download/download.htm

If you have a laptop, then you may have a "CyberBlade" video chip, which is usually integrated into the chipset of the motherboard. This would require you to either go back to the laptop manufacturer for the drivers or you will need to know the manufacturer of your chipset which would either be Acer (a.k.a. ALI ) or VIA.

Trident has moved away from desktop graphics to concentrate (in the video arena) on integrated video. Their drivers may have compatibility problems with many DirectX games like CM. I highly suggest that you don't install any graphics mods unless they're low resolution.

U8led - What version of DirectX are you using and what was your previous PCI video card ? The Diamond Monster Fusion is based on the 3dfx Banshee chipset. While 3dfx is out of business I believe you may still be able to download Reference drivers from them (or other third party websites). However I do remember someone from a post several days ago saying that they had problems with the 3dfx Reference drivers and went back to the Diamond OEM ones (though they most likely didn't have your particular video card).

You may have to check to see if there are any uninstall programs for your previous video card. There may be some drivers that are interfering with your DirectX calls (especially if you previously had a 3D-only accelerator installed). If nothing like that is available then some registry editing may be a possible solution.

You may want to look around your Display control panel under the Settings tab > Advanced button (or possibly just one of the tabs under the Display control panel itself). There may/should be a tab for DirectX, you may want to look around there for anything that may mention AGP.

Otherwise you may want to do a search in the Tech Support forum on "Banshee", "Fusion" or Voodoo 2 (though it isn't an AGP card) and see what you come up with

My previous card was also Monster Fusion although It was the pci type. I have the latest drivers from 3dfx, (which was the same download for pci or agp, is that the way it is suppose to be?)

I have direct x 8.0. Couple weeks ago I tried a voodoo5 and had nothing but problems with crashes and drivers not "taking". I think it is some kind of registry problem. I went back to the monster and it works pretty good but I dont think it is running as a agp.

thanx for responding anyway.

U8led

U8led - did you reinstall the Monster Fusion drivers or just leave the ones from your previous install in your system ?

You may want to uninstall ALL of your video drivers (including deleting the video device while in Safe Mode). You may then need to check through your registry for any 3dfx related settings and remove them. You will also need to remove any .inf files in the C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER directory which are associated with any of the video cards you've used. When you restart you'll need to select the "Standard PCI SVGA" adapter that Windows will use when it can't identify your video card. After this you may want to reinstall DirectX 8.0 and then either the 3dfx Reference drivers for the Banshee or the Diamond Monster Fusion drivers.

If you need further details, let me know. There are also some previous posts with step-by-step procedures for doing this (but they may be buried a bit on the board).

Schrullenhaft,

Thanks mate. The machine in question is my desktop at work, which is a hodgepodge of parts purchased at PC expos and put together by a friend of our IT department head, who probably gets a nice kickback in return for sending him the business. It's basically a lot of junk, with a PIII 800 in it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it tomorrow at work.

------------------

CrapGame

Memory Range DE000000 - DFFFFFFF used by:

PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge

Memory Range E2000000 - E3FFFFFF used by:

Input/Output Range D800 - D8FF used by:

This is my conflicting device list when I look in system/device manager/display adapter/3dfx voodoo banshee/resources.

Looks like something is wrong.

U8led - what version of Windows are you using ? I can't remember what Windows 95 calls the AGP slot. Since it isn't a recognized device in Win95 it is called something related to PCI.

If you are running Windows 95, then what you're seeing is normal. The AGP device is going to have overlapping memory regions that conflict with the video card (since Win95 doesn't know that is the way it is supposed to be). If you're using Windows 98 (either edition), then something is wrong.