I would like to see the AI in SC2 deploy HQs more intelligently.

In many games vs the AI I see HQs stationed where they cannot support combat units or they are clumped together in a manner that limits their ability to support the maximum number of units.

Many times I see a German HQ unit operated to Italy when the Allies have launched D-Day or German HQ units operated to South Eastern Europe, where they can only support Minor Allied or Italian units when Russia is advancing on Warsaw.

Perhaps a simple rule would be that a HQ unit will not move to a Nation if it would result in more 1 HQ per 5 Combat units, with a miniumum of 1 HQ unit always allowed, and a HQ unit can only move into a Nation where there is at least 1 unit of its nationality present. Any ideas?

Example:

France has 5 German Units: Max HQ 1

France has 7 German Units: Max HQ 2

France has 4 German Units: Max HQ 1

France has 10 German Units: Max HQ 2

France has 11 German Units: Max HQ 3

If there are no Italian Units in France then an Italian HQ can't be moved to France.

Any thoughts?

Simarily when the Allies launch D-Day they often do so without landing a HQ unit after Brest is taken, and thus its forces in France and weakened and limited in their ability to defend and attack.

[ June 20, 2005, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Just played a quick game as Allies in SC1, and the Expert Axis AI has 3 German HQs and 2 Italian HQs in Italy supporting 4 Italian Ground Units and 1 German Air Unit. Leaving the rest of the German Army unsupported in the face of an allied counter attack.

My guess is that HQ units from Germany operated to Italy when they were within range of my bomber in France or perhaps my taking Sicily encounraged them to move there.

My suggestion, above, would have limited the German HQs (in this situation)to 1 in Italy forcing the AI to use the other 2 German HQs to support German units elsewhere.

PS: Modify AI suggestion to allow unlimted number of HQ units to be stationed in country of origin.

[ June 22, 2005, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]