I think that the only way to do that, is to take Erzurum (the city in Eastern Turkey).

The supply from Baghdad and that is never enough to move your HQ into Russia. Even if you take a Russian city, it will only give you a supply of *3* if they're not connected with Berlin. That is never enough to move your HQ into Russia, the mountains prevent that 3-supply to go far.

Without Turkey, the furthest (sp?) you can go with a HQ is 130, 26. If you move it one step north, then you're stuck there forever (or untill you take Turkey), even if you somehow took Baku of Tblisi.

I think that the second option is to have TWO HQs there,n but I am not sure that will work, since HQs no longer supply other HQs. PErhaps it will allow you to move one HQ into Russia, but it won't give any supply to units, until it reaches Baku or Tblisi, I think.

No need to take a turkish city smile.gif :

You can advance with HQs into Caucasus from Iran if you use a second HQ that supplies the first one in the mountains.

Position the second HQ in range of Baghdad (2 clear tiles + mountain tile away), the first one is one mountain hex further and there it has supply of 8-2 = 6 and still has 2 action points in clear weather. So it can move either in the marsh or mountain tile further northeast and the next tile is the clear one next to the eastern russian city. Et voila...Axis HQ in Caucaus, supplied from the russian city and again at supply 8 so it can support the invasion forces smile.gif .

Ah, so the second option that I wrote, works too :)

I never tried it, because two HQs seems too much just to get to the (easy defendable) south.

As Allied I always place a maxed tech corps in each of the three cities (with a HQ operated as soon as he takes Iran). They're hard to take out in one turn when they're entrenched : it would require airplanes that can be put to better use at other places.

I assume that all players do this, so going in from the south would be too costly.

I've had some decent results by getting two HQs, one German, one Italian, into N.Iraq.

Add a couple of Bombers and a couple of AFs, para, tanks with mobility and you can do some serious damage to the USSR Caucasus resource area.

Can really get the Red Army spread out for a late Barbarossa.

Eventually with a few more units, Turkey is toast at your leisure.

Now with 1.05a, you are going to need to take out Malta before this strategy can develop. Damn ME is devastating for Axis adventures into Egypt and further east.

IMHO Malta is nice to conquer Egypt. Once you got Egypt, I don't see how taking Malta changes alot.

Some even say that you don't need alot of supply to take over Egypt, so taking Malta is even less rewarding.

I never take it, to be honest.

Only if you want to dabble in the southern Med.

If the UK sticks its bombers in Egypt early and takes pot shots at Tobruk along with the ME you might never see 50% efficiency, more like 10 - 20. I've even seen a crafty UK amphib take El Agheila on Italian entry.

Better to turn west towards Tunis if you like African adventures.

This is about playing humans.