TCP Crew Bug - many thanks to Schrullenhaft!

I have been a victim of the disastrous "capture a crew and have your tcp game crashed out" bug on many occasions now. No doubt whatsoever that capturing a crew is what causes it. I had tried many ways around it - all had failed - and in the end my regular playing partner and I have taken to warning each other as to the locations of crews and either arranging their summary executions or adapting our moves to avoid running into them.

But the problem is no more! I THOUGHT I had tried everything, returned to this forum out of curiosity a few days ago when a mammoth 3 battle op with maximum units crashed out with 15 turns to go and found the solution.

Schrullenhaft - thank you. Taking the CLIENT save and using it for a pbem turn and then returning to tcp worked first time. I have run a few saves since then and each time the problem was cured. It is therefore a reliable enough cure to make me feel finally that the problem is in the past. Having to take one turn of pbem is a pain, but it is only one turn after all... I had tried running pbem turns before and returning to the tcp arrangement but never achieved any joy. I can only assume that we always used the save on the machine that did not appear to crash, but this is in error. The slower machine receiving the file that then crashes it out has the uncorrupted save.

I hope this post might be of help to any other players out there who fall foul of this bug. If you are a lover of the huge "****fight" involving large numbers of tanks and guns on big maps I am sure you have. Give schrullenhaft's solution a try and it will work.

Thanks again. Glad the bug will not be ion cmbb, but I can honestly say that the chances of me playing the odd game of cmbo after cmbb is released have gone up substantially with this bug now fixed.

Cheers

Al

Just a comment here. It appears the general assumption that a lot of folks have here is that this tcp/ip crash, which I call the "ding freeze", is caused by the capturing of prisoners. I have personal experience that the crash is not limited to capture as it has occurred several times when there have been no prisoners. Also, capture does not, in every instance, cause the crash.

I had, back during last summer/spring, been playing regularly with John Caravella, a/k/a MAXX, and he had worked out a precautionary protocol that seemed to work pretty well, but it wasn't absolute. I recall that we played several 3000+ point ME's before we experienced the ding-freeze. Here's a link to the work-around: TCP/IP workaround. Again, it wasn't perfect, but I'm pretty confident it greatly reduced the frequency of the crashes.

Best wishes all

[ April 23, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Agua ]

Okay, after re-reading the work-around post, my memory has been refreshed a bit. We deterimined that the part of the workaround which was crucial was the "host doesn't hit go until after the client says ok". The ambient sound off and the save added nothing.