AAR, Jollyguy (Allies) vs. Terif (Axis)

Myth das ist Terif:

Nevertheless bad luck can have a huge psychological influence, especially on how you continue a game (aggressive, passive, with rage in your stomage... ). But as long as you don´t let yourself throw off track, random effects only change the strategies under which you can or should choose, not the outcome of the game smile.gif .

Cold as Ice.

To the devil!

With the suprising!

Sides of the dice.

I'll internalize the scripts,

Will - tantalyze - the Lion

With a dazzle

Of mein whips,

With... the... gift

I was lucky enough to get, IE,

A sweet & complete set of brains.

That other - yip & yowl Cat?

He can do the back & forth flips.

LOL,

Well, it's as I've ever surmised:

Terif wins - since the other guy

Chooses to lose. ;)

Originally posted by TaoJah:

There is one BIG difference : random events.

You are right, of course.

But: smile.gif

From a theoretical viewpoint, the random number generator still works deterministically, it increases only the possibilities.

If someone knows the method that is used to generate the numbers and the initial seed, he could include this knowledge into his calculations.

Even without this knowledge, one could work with expected values.

And:

More practically seen, even in a game without random events, given the many possibilities and the unreliability of the human brain, ones moves sometimes give the impression, that they are randomly chosen. :D

More randomness is good in my view... the more random the better. War is random and so should games be.
Couldn't agree more, Jeff,

And I will continue to work diligently

With manifold suggestions

For more random/variant events,

Rest assured. smile.gif

Within reasonable "historical framework,"

But of course,

And,

Also work to eliminate as many

Of those - yet existant - "gamey exploits"

As possible.

There IS a huge difference between

Random and Exploit,

Literally or figuratively.

Update: Terif DOW's Turkey on same turn as Barbarossa! He positioned six, count-em, six Luftwaffe that hit the poor Turks in wave after wave of attack. Then a paratrooper dropped in from the European side to finish off the dazed defenders, and a paratrooper from from Syria occupied the capital. The Turks and their long knives gone in one turn!

Elsewhere, the Finns are attacked by Stalin, and the Irish join the Brits. It's late 1941, and the Siberians just arrived; the Yanks are quiet; and the Brits have an engineer building Norwegian and Swedish fortifications, and Brest fell a turn before Barbarossa, and that's about it of note, as have to run.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Update: An Axis (Terif) win. The nail in my coffin was after taking Brest I invaded Portugal, and thought I had Spain sealed off with a combination of paratroopers and amphibs near the Pyrannes mountains bordering France, but he was able to open a crack in my barricade and operate a massive force into Madrid, trapping my five blockaders which he then picked off one by one. I still had a still sizeable force around Lisbon, but Terif was patient and we fought for about half a year, trading units, until he wore me down.

So, in hindsight, I would have been better off invading elsewhere, as I didn’t realize the Axis by proper placement of units could so easily skirt five blocking units and slip through a seam between two hexes, but live and learn.

I’ve also realized that having the Brits try to upset the Axis timetable pays better dividends than conjuring up a creative and flashy strategy that allows the Axis to buildup unhindered until Barbarossa. Keeping the Axis spread-out as long as possible and trying to attrit their mpps during 1940 and 1941 gives Uncle Joe a better chance. That’s what I’ve done in my remaining game with Terif, which might be my last for awhile, as I’m contemplating an SC 2 break so I can garden and bike and do other real life stuff. When Spring and Summer hit in the Pacific Northwest you want to enjoy it!

Bob