Take Benelux as Allied ?

In SC1 it was a very viable strategy to tahe the Low Countries as the Allied, because it was easier to defend it then defend the north of France.

However, in SC2, I find this no longer the case : I tried it a few times, but taking the Benelux doesn't seem to work as well as in SC1.

What do you people do ?

And what was the name again of taking the Low Countries as Allied. I know it has a specific name other then "taking the Low Countries with the Allied", but I forgot !

Well, in SC1 it was beneficial, because you could actually defend the Low Countries very, very well by forming a line across the river Maas. That could stall the German attack on France several turns.

In SC2, I am not sure it's worth the trouble anymore. Which is why I am asking.

And yes, that was it : the Dutch Gambit ! How could I forget a silly name like that !?!

Well, to answer my own question (which is the first sign of insanity, probably triggered by playing this game too much)...

It's nearly impossible to take the Benelux with the Allies. It took me SEVERAl tries to do it (on the hardest difficulty setting).

But even then...

Once you have the Benelux, you need to take two hexes in Germany before you can defend from behind the river against the rest of their troops. Those two hexes are part of the Siegfried line. Enough said, I think : those hexes are impossible to take.

Oh, well, it was fun to try and retry and retry !

The Allies planned on entering the Low Countries once their neutrality had been violated by Germany. They tried by diplomatic means to get permission to stage troops there in advance of a German advance, but were denied. Once Germany attacked, the Allies raced forward in an attempt to form a line along the Dyle. The Germans knew about this in advance and exploited it. They hit the LC first, drawing the Allies forward and then several days later they hit the Sedan area with their schwerpunkt, the main penetration force and swept in behind the BEF and mobile elements of the French army. It worked just as they hoped it would, except Hitler meddled and ordered Guderian to halt at the canals opposite Dunkirk. The rest is history.

Originally posted by Panzerkiel:

Once Germany attacked, the Allies raced forward in an attempt to form a line along the Dyle.

The Dyle, really ? I didn't know that. And I'm from Belgium myself.

I once kissed a girl on a bridge over the Dyle, after asking her "have you ever been kissed standing over the Maas ?".

I felt soooooo stupid when she said something like "this is the Dyle, you dork".

She did kiss, though !