Questions to Hubert for modding SC2

The more I examine this game, the more I realize the formidable potentialities of adaptation which it contains. Independently to know if it is realistic on such or such point, if there is such or such small error, etc. (all these points will be adjusted in time due to the suggestions of the players), Strategic Command 2 is for the modding a fantastic tool. I recommended it to the French players on the forum of Cyberstratège, and I hope that they will be very numerous to buy it because any wargamer has to possess it.

The only problem with SC2 is : days have only 24 hours, and night, 8 hours.... When am I going to sleep ?

Questions for Hubert, about modding :

1/ How did you realize the transformation of

*Some mountains in boccage

*Quatar depression in Fields ?

Graphically, no problem, I see.

But how did you proceed in :

*Changing cost of movment

*Effects on supply

*Effects on combats, etc... ?

Only with the editor ?

2/ Examining the "localization" file, I founded that :

; Terrain IDs

#RIVER= River

#FOREST= Forest

#MOUNTAIN= Mountain

#MARSH= Marsh

#DEPRESSION= Depression

How can You have ground terrain like FIELDS (Depression) and BOCAGE (Mountains ) in the D-D scenario, without changing the names in the localization files ? These terms (bocage and fileds) are not in the localization file of the demo. I think a such mod would necessary need this sort of changement. There is something I have missed... Can you explain me, please ? smile.gif

1. This can only be done in the Editor

2. There is a second 'localization.txt' file that can be found in the D-Day subfolder. If you look under the 'Campaigns\_D-Day' folder you will see how in this second 'localization.txt' file the appropriate text has been changed.

Additionally take a look at the 'campaign.ini' file in this folder as you can see how the option to turn on #CUSTOM_LOCALIZATION, #CUSTOM_BITMAPS etc. is there as well.

This way you can have specific customizations for each individual campaign without ever having to overwrite the original *master* data.

To expand on what Hubert said, take a look also at the User Manual and the sections for the Campaign Editor.

In addition to editing the localization.txt file with customized names for things, and editing the campaign.ini file for customized bitmaps and such, you can then edit all of the terrain values in the Editor. Rename marsh to bocage, change the bitmap sprites, and then edit the movement costs and max entrenchment values too. You can edit just about everything in this game - bitmaps, interface, sounds, etc.

Ok, thanks a lot ! smile.gif I see now the complete system. More better that I was thinking, with repertory system and configuration with O/1. Excellent !

I think it would be possible to realize roads and railroads with a little tip I have founded (no sure it will work, but I will try). Time will be long during waiting the editor... :rolleyes:tongue.gif

fantomas!!! ....since you are a 'RENOWNED REGULAR' at "Cyberstratege"...can you please request that someone translate the 'French' into 'English' so that one-tongued person's such as myself can then select the 'English' button so that we regular's at SC2 can enjoy the web-site as well!.