under exactly what conditions can a destroyed unit be rebuilt at reduced cost?

Usually when a unit is destroyed it can be rebuilt at a reduced cost but occasionally not. I understand that in a general sense if a unit is cut off it can't be rebuilt cheaply but must rather be purchased for full cost. However I've tried pocketing and destroying units and know that for example if I destroy them on the turn they are pocketed then they can still be rebuilt at reduced cost if there is a 10 point city inside the pocket (the city is reduced to 5 on the following turn due to (I assume) being cut off from the capitol).

So - can someone describe the necessary conditions to cause an opponent to pay full cost to rebuild a destroyed unit?

Also will any city cut off from the capitol be reduced to 50% on the following turn or are there any conditions that will protect a city from this penalty?

Thanks for any insight

I've an imperfect understanding of this one, but I believe it's Supply>=5, even if surrounded.

So a unit in a city is okay even if the city is cut off (if the city hasn't been bombed).

A unit in a coastal town/fort that is reduced but that has a >=6 port is similarly okay. A unit in Tobruk, say, where Tobruk fortress has been damaged by bombardment is destroyed for good as the port is only 5.

The cut off thing works except where there are other cities designated as "capitals" for supply purposes. I.e. I find it hard to cut supply in the centre of Russia because of Stalingrad, Grozny(?), etc.

[ December 25, 2006, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: Bromley ]

Yep - it is pretty simple:

If the enemy unit has supply of 5 or higher at the moment it gets destroyed, then it can be rebuilt at reduced costs, otherwise not. Nothing else matters smile.gif .

P.S.: when you are standing next to an enemy unit you can see its supply level so you know if it can be rebuilt or not in case you destroy it.

Terif. The thing I'm not sure about is whether it's the supply level at the beginning of the turn or the supply level if it were recalculated at the moment of death.

From what you said I'd assume that it's the supply level at the beginning of the turn. So bombing a surrounded city to 3 and then killing the defending unit would allow a rebuild, whereas bombing the city to 3 and waiting until next turn will kill the unit permanently.

If so, that's a lot of wasted effort in my games to date :D .

Yep, bombing a city to 3 makes only sense if you wait to kill the unit in the next turn.

Only the current supply from the beginning of the turn is relevant to determine if it can be rebuilt, i.e. the supply you can see when you click on the unit you want to attack smile.gif .

Bromley, you would kill a unit permanently only if the supply of that unit at the beginning of the turn is 0 (cut out from any supply). In that case, it is permanently removed from your work force. Otherwise, at supply 1-4, you can still buy it back but not at the discounted price. Finally, these rules don't apply to ships as if they are sunk at sea (whatever their supply), no one can recover them. But, I don't know about those few ships being killed in port...

I think in earlier versions 0 supply units couldn't be rebuilt, maybe this was so as far back as version 1.0? I distinctly remember not being able to rebuild one of my 0 supply US tanks that got destroyed after beign cutoff and surrounded.

Like BioWizard says about ships, I don't believe a land unit sunk at sea can be rebuilt, but iteresting to note that land units at 0 supply on land can be rebuilt at full cost, which acually makes sense, as in the scale of our game all combatants would still have a fresh pool of recruits to draw from.

Bob

Land units sunk at sea (TP/amphib) can still be rebought - but never at reduced cost.

0 supply means their name will be removed from the list of available units, so you in deed can´t build the same unit any more (unless you rename another one ;) ) - but still have a pool of new recruits.

• 2 weeks later...