Do surprise contacts take into consideration entrenchment level? Is there a special rule when damage is calculated? I only ask because it seems that defending units can take more damage in a surprise contact, even if their entrenchment level is high. In a game right now my Corp. ran into a level 4 entrenched Army and dealt 3 points of damage, whereas subsequent attacks by my other units barely did 1 point.

Or was it just a lucky hit on the surprise contact?

Surprise contact changes the roles of attacker and defender - so if a corps rans into one of your entrenched armies, then your army attacks the corps (and gets an additional readiness bonus since it surprises the corps). This means entrenchment or terrain of the army doesn´t matter as it is now the attacker.

Not necessarily. Like when I hit Moscow against you in my last turn I knew you'd have a unit there. If, for example, I knew you didn't have any AT tech I would send my armor there to do the surprise contact, making your defender attack involuntarily against a better unit.

That doesn´t work - in a surprise contact the former defender that surprises the moving unit attacks only if it will have the advantage and has the better expected losses.

So if you send a tank against a corps without AT in Moskov to force a surprise contact, then the corps will not attack the tank since it has to expect to suffer more damage than the tank.