Historical Spanish Random Event

"Spain altered its policy of neutrality following the lightning success of Germany's 1940 spring offensive. The German armies appeared invincible, and Franco was eager to assure Spain a voice in the postwar settlement. In June 1940, The Spanish government adopted a policy of nonbelligerency, which permitted German submarines to be provisioned in Spanish ports and German airplanes to use Spanish landing strips."

Spanish Foreign Policy Under Franco

What if: Event Turns a Spanish Port into an Axis Port. Then Axis ships can be repaired and refueled there.

What if: A hex in Spain becomes Axis so Axis Air Fleets can fly in from Neighboring France? Axis would gain intelligence on movement of Allied ships within spotting range of the air unit based in Spain.

[ June 27, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Spain had a port?! :eek:

I dunno,I don't think it's a very good idea to make one of their ports axis or even a tile .It seems very unrealistic to me.

What you could do is this:

If the allies spend a diplomatic chit on Turkey and the war isn't going too badly for them, they can pass and ancher at the port in Istanbul(but it's still neutral).

If the axis spend a diplomatic chit on Spain just after they defeated france.German and Italian air and naval units can be deposited on Spanish territory(incl. ports),where the allies can't attack them without declaring war on Spain.

The axis units can't attack from here either but they can be repaired and locate allied units.

p.s.: meetings between Franco and Hitler didn't go too well,at the end of their last meeting(1940) both parties left angry.

Hitler wanted Spain to join the war after the defeat of France but Franco knew that germany couln't win a full-scale war with the UK.

Originally posted by Night:

Not a bad idea, and who is to say you can't attack to port and hex that the axis troops are in.

Franco, I can imagine.

There's no way the allies would have risked a DOW from Spain(and probably Portugal) just to blow up some planes or ships that aren't able to attack them anyway.

On the other hand, Franco would have been just as pissed if the axis attacked from out of Spanish territory, then he would be the one risking a DOW from the allies.