Weapons and Warfare-A New Paradigm?

With a new map featuring new infrastructure, the many new ports, changes in weather, and the new units are the old grand strategies(like say gobbling up the minor countries by Axis), or minor gambits (early Allied attack on Norway) now in peril? In other words is everything thrown out the window or is SC2 still essentially the same game?

I'd say pretty much the same, but with some minor differences.

The naval aspect as far as uboat interaction is a definite improvement, map is bigger, and with the additional space the MidEast/North Africa theater plays differently, more historical.

I can understand Terif's opinion that there is less flexibility for strategies, but on the contrary my opinion is there is greater tactical/operational variety.

I do feel that WaW does dictate a more historical path although not mandatory, but its still early, more exploration is needed.

I believe the real changes for SC were underneath the hood, with the editor, and the ability to present a more competent AI, although I just can't bring myself to play the AI anymore, so my claim is somewhat unjustified.

I do think that there are some aspects that will change grand strategy. But you discover them only while playing.

1. Rail!

- No more operating if you're not on rail and connected by rail. Changes things in N-Africa and the Middle East, but also in other places.

- Cities, even connected by land cannot go above value 5 unless also connected by rail. Moreover, all connecting cities must be at a value higher than 5. I laughed at the "stupid AI" when he sent his allied bombers to strat bomb Paris. Untill I noticed two western French cities and the whole of the Iberian Peninsula at level 5 (I didn't have the railconnection via Vichy France.)

2. Subhunting is now an altogether different proposition. And so is the Battle of the Atlantic.

3. Taking Malta is very feasable. With the tac bombers. So is Gibraltar, from Africa. Changes the situation in the Med.

4. To say nothing of the new units or the newly conceived units (strat bombers and tanks) and the possibilities they create.

When first playing WaW I felt like playing the same game as SC2. But you gradually get to undergo, than appreciate and, finally, use the differences.

Originally posted by Bylandt:

1. Rail!

- No more operating if you're not on rail and connected by rail. Changes things in N-Africa and the Middle East, but also in other places.

- Cities, even connected by land cannot go above value 5 unless also connected by rail. Moreover, all connecting cities must be at a value higher than 5. I laughed at the "stupid AI" when he sent his allied bombers to strat bomb Paris. Untill I noticed two western French cities and the whole of the Iberian Peninsula at level 5 (I didn't have the railconnection via Vichy France.)

Rail makes paratroopers deadly, if you're foolish (or unfortunate) enough to have a large force way the heck out there dependent on one sole line.