Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Some questions about fortifications not found in the manual.

Hi, here some questions that I like answered. I didn't find the answers in the manual, so...

1. Does the defence bonus from fortifications adds up to the bonus from terrain ?

2. Do you only get the defence bonus for attacks made from across the wall ?

3. Does the wall reduces attack strength by half ? If so, is it cumulative with rivers ?

4. If the wall is important, what nearby hexes are affected ?

Say I got a fortification that has one long line (one extra click on the fortification builder, construction of 40 days) and I turn it so that it goes north-east. Will it also count againt attacks from the north and the east ?

1 - Terrain bonus and fortification bonus does NOT add up. I.e. no matter where you build a fortification, a unit in it will always get the same defence bonus.

It has even a disadvantage if you build it e.g. in forests or mountains, since this will eliminate their terrain defence bonuses if the fortification is attacked from the rear. And this leads to question 2 smile.gif :

2 - only for attacks across the wall the defender gets the defence bonus from a fortification. Against attacks from other sides it uses only the entrenchment to reduce damage for the defender and no additional terrain/fortification bonuses.

3 - No, attack strength is not halved against a fortification. Only attacks accross a river and from marshes half the attack values (and are multiplied i.e. if you attack from a marsh accross a river (e.g. at Leningrad), then your attack value is only 1/4).

4 - A long line means it will affect three hexes: both corners and the hex in front of the line. E.g. if you build a line to the southwest, then the fortification will provide defence against attacks from south, southwest and west.

P.S. After completion you can see against which sides a fortification is directed by right click on it and select properties.

[ June 11, 2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Thanks for the answers !

Lately I got the habit of buying a Italian engineer as the first unit they buy and fortify my russian border because for the first year I only use corpses to defend against them.

The defense bonus isn't alot (only 1 for soft attacks), but it's the entrenchement that makes it worth. Perhaps I'll just build fortification without walls from now on, I'll see.

Originally posted by TaoJah:

The defense bonus isn't alot (only 1 for soft attacks), but it's the entrenchement that makes it worth. Perhaps I'll just build fortification without walls from now on, I'll see.

This may seem like a dumb question,since I have played a good 20 games, but how do you pick to build a wall? I thought the only options you had in forifactions was direction and length.