Any news on Diplomacy Options?

As pzgndr oulined SC2 will handle diplomacy in a manner that pleases everyone - with an option to turn it on or off.

The key to an effective diplomacy system in my view is making it realistic while realizing that many persons have different views of what was historically possible given 20-20 hindsight and that a country's diplomatic position changes depending upon events (ie conquests of neighboring countries) and the current leadership in charge.

Soviet Russia has, on occassion, used its influence to decide who would be acceptable as Prime Minister for Finland, during the last century. England decided who would be the Prime Minister of Egypt and on occasion countries would support various pretenders to the leadership roles in other countries.

A diplomatic effort might first involve getting persons who favor your side into office and then persuading them to adopt policies favorable to you. Naturally, in diplomacy, nothing is certain.

Also, in many cases a neutral country might be persuaded to provide assistance short of becoming a belligerant.

Example - Use a diplomacy chit to convince Spain to provide intelligence on ship movements though the Straits of Gibraltar. Valuable intelligence for the Axis player.

In my opinion diplomacy in SC2 should influence the following actions:

1. Affect the war readiness of a neutral

2. Convince a neutral to perform an action short of war.

-------- Axis convinces Turkey to Annex Iraq to prevent allied control of Iraqi Oil.

-------- UK convinces Turkey to allow UK ships free passage through the straits to the Black Sea.

-------- Share Intelligence on Enemy units within spotting range of a city tile.

3. Convince a minor neutral country to prepare for an enemy invasion.

-------- Sweden mobilizes an extra corps

-------- Swedish units begin to entrench

[ August 01, 2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Roosevelt you said,

NO diplomacy??!!

war without diplomacy is like a hangover without beer(just imagine )

If there's no diplomacy in SC2 I'll take my money elsewhere.

Excuse me if I thought wrong, I do respect you for whatever. However, I thought you were the hot head by your statement. You were the one who started talking smack with the if it dont have diplomacy in it I'm not buying it whine. Like the kid playing baseball, you either play it my way or I'm not playing at all. For you SCII better have Diplomacy or I'm not buying it at all. Fine then dont play it if it doesnt have it. Diplomacy in SCII is not going to "make" it a success.

I reaffirm that I will buy SCII either way. If it has Diplomacy or not. I hope it doesnt because it doesnt need it. But if it does I will still gladly buy it. Check out my email address, its fordiplomacy@msn.com I have played the ultimate game in Diplomacy for the last 25 years or so. If I want to play a game with Diplomacy or about Diplomacy I will play Diplomacy the game. If you like Diplomacy so much you really should look into it. Its a great game. I like SC because its just two players, like chess, battling it out and using your mind to make moves. Its just not killing as you indicated, its using your mind to know when and where and how to attack.

Another thing, it would be nice if SC included diplomatic options that relected the current state of affairs.

For example, if Germany attacks Vichy France, perhaps the following diplomatic appear for the UK:

1. Give Spain Military Aid

2. Allow UK to position units in Spain - ie UK units can enter Spain the Tiles surrounding Gibraltar but can't attack from these hexes until Spain is attacked.

3. Attempt to convince Spain to join the allies.

4. Counter/reduce Axis influence.

5. Gain Intelligence on Enemy units accross the border but in spotting range of Spanish Neutral Units.

If Axis does not attack Vichy then options: 1,2, and 3 do not appear.

Blasy said,

I hope for one thing, that EVERY option in the game can be on or off.

Simplest way to not impose anything on anyone if they don't want it in

Yes, very good Blasy. I really agree. I think many such items like Diplomacy can be items you may want sometimes. But may not want most of the time. Some may even want it most of the time, but not some of the time. So your point is well taken.