I am really enjoying reading some of the posts here, those AAR's on the ongoing games. I've been reading between the lines and I discern that city strength has a connection with supply, being able to supply and operate armies/airfleets. Yes, I know I have to re-read the manual, but I was hoping perhaps there was at least a link to a strategy guide. I belong to the Silent Hunter III forum, if I may mention another game, and it has a community manual online which explains much of the game mechanics. I am hoping there might be a similar resource for SC2. I really do not expect someone to type everything there is to know about the game, but I would really like to get to master this game and be a decent player.

For example, I notice that I can't get my units to go above 8 in the Med as the British. If I get a fleet damaged, then I have to ship it back to Britain to rebuild it to a 10 again. I've noticed the same effect when I land in Italy, can't get my units rebuilt to 10. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Manual is best for this but real real simple:

If you are not connected to your countries Capitol by Land, your Supply from a resource is cut in half. Cities and Ports supply Supply for Land, Naval and Air Units. The only difference for Land and Air is HQs, they get bonuses from HeadQuarters

Supply is good for everything, all factors of a unit, higher it is the better, it fights better and not only, reinforces better. The further you get away from supply the worse off you are, Swamps and Mountains hinder supply...

HQs in SC1 can support Units within 5 hexes. Do not let your units go without Supply, they will be destroyed and you will not get them back, Morale and effectiveness and APs all drop drastically on units without Food-Ammo-Fuel-and Tea...unless you are home turf or close a friendly home City/Port , which itself provides supply.

P.S. Conquored Nations never give fully supply, only liberated ones do and USSR is a Supply Nightmare with the best of 5 supply if conquested for the Axis.

Thanks for your reply, Liam. So, let me see if I understand this correctly: I can never get to 10 in Italy if I invade? What then is the highest level I can achieve if I land amphibiously in a non-Allied country? I'm calling it a day now and heading off to bed, manual in hand. Perhaps I'll get it all figured out that way. Again, thanks for your patience.

In order to maintain Maximum Supply...Take heed of what 'Liam' has said,...and as well, make sure to have an 'HQ' reasonably close to your units...in order to ensure that they get supplies!.

The Units that show a 'Green' shadowing, are the unit's that, that 'HQ' is responsible for. HQ's will indicate the maximum number of unit's it will supply!.

So if you have more unit's than what 1-HQ will take care of, bring along another HQ!.

I was hoping perhaps there was at least a link to a strategy guide... I am hoping there might be a similar resource for SC2.
I wrote the Strategy Guide for SC1, but that was only after about a year. During that time, several patches were released and gameplay settled down to a point where some useful advice could be given. And a lot of that material came from these forums with everyone's AARs and comments that I freely acknowledged.

But even that Strategy Guide did not get into too many specifics, or the various "cookie cutter" strategies folks were using to win the league games. Some things still need to be discovered! smile.gif

It's too soon to worry about a new Strategy Guide. The game as released plays well and is more or less balanced, but a couple of patches to make some adjustments and enhancements are needed. Let's see how the game matures. In the meantime, there ARE useful tips and suggestions scattered throughout the User Manual. ;)