What If...... Air Units attacked Merchant Shipping

Merchant ship convoys are large targets and lack effective anti-air defenses.

Should air units allowed to attack merchant shipping routes? I think so.

Example:

A fighter wing stationed in Norway should be able to attack Allied Lend Lease Routes going to Russia if one is within range. Attacking merchant shipping means that it can not intercept or attack another unit that turn.

In practical terms, a fighter wing sends out a patrol, a merchant ship convoy is spotted and the fghter radios in their location to the rest of the air wing and the attack begins.

Adding this feature would give greater importance to controlling Norway and Iceland.

[ May 07, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I suspect that the weather up there can be atrocious...so even if a fighter wing is stationed in Norway...they would or should only be allowed to make their runs when the weather permits.

If this was not a historical situaion...then it should be another selectable item by the player...or thrown in with the other options in the computer dice-roll(so to speak).

Im sure that particular idea or concept hasn't been discussed. If that is so...then i would like very-much for the computer to auto-select from a range of options and have them in the game.

This way...when playing against the AI...one would never know what is going to unfold. So now, routine deployments and strategies honed to a fine touch game after game will not work anymore!.

This is a must-have feature for me...this would assure long playability for me as a solitaire player against the 'AI'.