Finland way too easy for USSR to quickly conquer - needs patched

In my opinion it's way too easy for USSR to DOW Finland on turn 1 of war with Germany, amphib an army or two in and knock them out immediately. Plus USSR gets MPP loot and morale boost. The only negative effect is a slight impact on Sweden's diplo perhaps, at least as far as I know. Seems kinda silly when USSR had to fight an entire winter war with heavy losses and very minimal gains vs Finland in reality.

Maybe putting the army in Helsinki and another unit on the coast next to Helsinki would fix it.

[ December 03, 2006, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: JJColorado ]

Seems you are speeking about a game vs the poor AI smile.gif .

But try it against a human opponent and any able player will happily sink your amphibs with the german Kriegsmarine immediately.... :D

...and on the path via land you will get your entire winter war where Russia often will be beaten by the finish forces (with some german help of course ;) ) - can end either way depending on where both sides lay their main focus.

I was speaking about Human actually. I think every game that I've seen the Germans start with their fleet around Konigsberg so it's easy for Russia to just on turn 1 do the invasion. I guess if the Axis parks their navy outside of Leningrad before the war that would work - I've just never seen an Axis player do that.

Finland is very takeable now without Scando in Axis hands. It is however a third front and if you take that away mine as well shrink the Caucasus up to about 1/3rd their current size. Granted with the setup the Mannerheim line is more of a nuisance than a defense for Finland. It should be replace around the Capitol to be effective tongue.gif that or make the weather around Finland a bit more realistic so Russians do not storm across it like France in 1940

All this being said, if you actually attack the USSR with enough forces to threaten it, it will abandon Finland or lose Moscow-Caucasus and several other key cities, I myself haven't so far launched an initial first strike with this much potency the Russians will be stuck in Finland without Leningrad...

Take Finland, bang Helsinki with a bomber and then retake Finland yourself as Axis the Morale boost is bigger than the garrison units! Plus any remaining Russian Invasion units will be out of supply due to loss of Leningrad and the likely operation of their HQ out of Finland right after it falls! smile.gif Bingo by turn 7 or 8 of Barby you killed 1 or 2 outfitted Russians for the price of no tech fins plus had the entire Red Army tied up on a useless pice of soil while you conquored her interior

Have to agree with Terif. I've been playing him a number of games now, and when he's Axis he always moves enough airpower and naval units near Finland to make any major Allied attack on Finland very expensive, if not untenable. IMO the best Allied defense of Finland is to have your engineer build a fortification in the hex north of Leningrad, and put a tech'ed corp there. Doing so I was able to hold off Terif into post-Spring 1942, but he took Leningrad eventually.

Against a less experienced opponent Finland is probably worth a shot, but I've tried at least two times now against Terif, and concluded I would have been much better off placing my units elsewhere.

Bob

first of all, the axis player will most likely block the red baltic fleet near kronstadt port, pre barbarossa so he has the first strike after he dows ussr - so, red amphib invasion of Finland in turn 1 of barby works only if the axis player previously lost his ships or they are away.