AI mayhem in Italy - an observation

Yesterday I played the Allies vs. the AI... I took Sicily with an english Army group (HQ, Army, Corps, Tank) and good naval support. As I moved my Airfleet to Sicily I was able to see what the AI moved to Italy in the meantime.. in total 15 units, 4 german HQs, one italian HQ, the spanish HQ as well as 6-8 german Armies and Corps plus Air Support (nnedless to say it lost the whole eastern front due to that movement!).

Basically it makes sense that the AI moves units to Italy to defend it, but not 15 units who just sit around and do nothing. I think it fits when the AI transfers just 1 HQ and a few infantry unit to southern Italy..

Is there a thread where an can enter all our observations?

When ever I play Allies vs AI I never even bother with Sicily. It is much eaiser to just take the southern most city and move on Rome. I know not historical at all but to be honest in it's current state there just does not seem to be a valid reason to take Sicily unless you are trying to recreate history.

Originally posted by Hyazinth von Strachwitz:

Yesterday I played the Allies vs. the AI... I took Sicily with an english Army group (HQ, Army, Corps, Tank) and good naval support. As I moved my Airfleet to Sicily I was able to see what the AI moved to Italy in the meantime.. in total 15 units, 4 german HQs, one italian HQ, the spanish HQ as well as 6-8 german Armies and Corps plus Air Support (nnedless to say it lost the whole eastern front due to that movement!).

Basically it makes sense that the AI moves units to Italy to defend it, but not 15 units who just sit around and do nothing. I think it fits when the AI transfers just 1 HQ and a few infantry unit to southern Italy..

Ah this is not a problem. Just change it in the editor to your prefered setting.

Just keep posting. Most of these things are already known. One issue with the generic AI is that it over-reacts to new threats, and that's why you see a lot of unnecessary and expensive Op Moves back and forth. Hopefully some adjustments will be made in future patches, and better defensive AI planning scripts may help too.

I had simlar results in my last game. Large number of units sent to Italy and then later to France as well after D-Day. The Western Allies ended up facing the bulk of the German forces while the Russian Front was all but abandoned by the Axis.

It actually made for a very interesting game - but it certainly was not realistic. The Russians had been almost beaten, but the Axis mass move to the west, allowed them to first breath a little easy, then reinforce & create new units, and then methodically take back everything on the way the Berlin. A Better AI would have continued an offensive in Russia and just sent enough units west to resaonably defend and delay.

@ Rolend: yeah, you`re right... I use to play historically, otherwise the AI is too easy to play. I wouldn`t do this im HvH

@ Kuniworth: okay... how do I do this?

@ pzgndr: I think it will take years until all events are scripted..

@ Yogi: yes, that`s a problem.... maybe a script would help here.. 2/3 of the forces in the east and 1/3 in the west...

Originally posted by Rolend:

When ever I play Allies vs AI I never even bother with Sicily. It is much eaiser to just take the southern most city and move on Rome. I know not historical at all but to be honest in it's current state there just does not seem to be a valid reason to take Sicily unless you are trying to recreate history.

Does make a nice safe spot to put a bomber or two.