Win XP

Gentlemen,

The computer I have been using to enjoy CMBO these past few years has died. It actually went alight and shot flame out the back. :eek: In the past week I have had a new rig put together...it's specs are as follows: P4 2.25, 1 gig of ram, SB Live!, NVidia 128, DVD, CD-RW, Zip, floppy etc.

What is different is that this one has Windows XP.

The reason for this is that there was some issue between the Video card and W98 SE...so the tech put in the XP.

Now...Not one sim or game I have will play(well, or at all), in XP :confused: ...CMBO only plays in the lowest rez...it is absurd...even new games like MOH-AA won't play either...

I would welcome assistance, since I havent located any patches or work arounds as yet...

Many Thanks,

Archangel

[ August 10, 2002, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: ARCHANGEL ]

Most likely the tech didn't install the latest NVidia drivers, which may make a difference here. XP comes with the 12.40 Detonators, which have a 'white transparency' problem in CM. Updating to a driver newer than the 27.xx series will fix this problem.

The latest official driver is 30.82 which you can get from NVidia (this is the Windows 2000 / XP driver).

Schull,

Thank you very much...The tech said he had done the new drivers...all I know is that NOTHING I try to play is working...Funny, when I tried to add Destroyer Command, which never did well with my old Voodoo 5 card, it boldly stated that it does not work with XP...lucky me!!! :mad:

I just d/l'd the drivers you recommended...it changed my screen to the lowest rez, but I did reset it...now I will go try CM and see what happens...I had the white out problem in CM with the old Voodoo 5 as well...but I didnt get far enough into CM this time to see if that was a problem again...the only rez that it allowed last night was rock bottom, and blindingly huge... :confused:

I must say how dammed irritating it is to have spent nearly 300 bucks for the sierra hotel video card, only to have an operating system and several sims that wont work with it... :rolleyes:

I am beginning to get testy about this...Next I will try to add Battle of Britian, MSFT CFS 2, and a few others..hopefully, I wont be cursing the world when I am done... redface.gif

Thanks Again for your kind assistance,

Archangel

So you're saying that CM did start up or it did not ?

What is your motherboard chipset, Intel, SiS or possibly VIA ? You may need to apply a chipset driver for some of the newest P4 chipsets.

I'd suggest uninstalling all of your video drivers. If possible go to an SVGA driver rather than any NVidia driver. However this may be very hard to accomplish since XP includes the 12.40 drivers and it will recognize all but the latest GeForce cards. With all of the previous drivers uninstalled (and this may involve some registry editing and manual file deletion), then install the latest drivers (after rebooting from the previous uninstalls).

Before you uninstall your video drivers you may want to check what DirectX thinks of your current video install. Run the DXDIAG (C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DXDIAG, IIRC). Go to the Display tab and check to see if the three available settings are enabled or not. Run each of the tests and see if they pass or not.

I'd also suggest checking what monitor Windows XP thinks you have installed. A 'Default Monitor' may not be appropriate in some situations. If you uninstall your video drivers the Monitor will also disappear and require resetting once you install the new video drivers.

[ August 10, 2002, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Well schul has a good point, but one question, I have put in many nivida 128 chipset based cards in to many machines with windows 98se on them these machines had various shipsets never had any serious probs with them and I have also done the same with XP. This vid card, did it come out of your old machine, if so has it been checked?? {not to disrepect your tech} most of the time if a tech is worth his salt he should have checked it for damage, the card should at least at even the oldest driver install should find the resolutions available to you in the settings, if your puter fried, it might have damaged your vid card