Because I'm a new player (I got the "bundle pack" for Christmas) I've have been reading over the more recent After Action Reports, which I find is a good way to become acquainted with a new game. I've read over seven or eight of them (including three that used the Weapons & Warfare expansion), and all of them were Axis victories, usually rather one sided Axis victories.

This brings to mind two questions.

1) Is this because the full campaign is unbalanced in favor of the Axis, or is that string of decisive Axis victories just a coincidence?

2) If the full campaign is unbalanced, are some of the shorter campaigns (such as the one that begins in 1940) better balanced?

For me one of the great things about World War II grand strategy games is that each side gets to be both on the offensive and on the defensive. I also enjoy trying to judge when the shift in momentum (Churchill called it "The Hinge of Fate") will take place and how to prepare effectively for it. So far Strategic Command II has been great fun, and I'm hoping to make it even better by finding out which scenerios best suit my tastes.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

In my experience I've had no problem getting throttled as either the Axis or Allies. I've also won with both. I haven't played WaW enough to know what the balance looks like, but SC2 patched up seems to be pretty equal for both sides.

Top players have a lot of experience though and can take advantage of any mistake you make, effectively ending games by 1942. The imbalance mostly comes from skill levels.

As completely new player it is more likely for you to loose as Axis since rookie mistakes there have more severe consequences (especially if you mess up your guard units or declare war to the wrong country...). But as soon as you have learned the basics then this is not an issue any more. BTW - reading the SC2 course at Panzerliga (link see FAQ) helps a lot to learn the necessary things smile.gif .

So if you have 2 players of equal skill level who know the basics - then the 1939 Fall Weiss campaign both in SC2 and WaW is perfectly balanced. Both sides have exactly the same chance to win - which is why this is the standard map for multiplayer battles smile.gif .