CMBB stuttering and sluggish

During the play mode on larger battles, movement by troops and equipment is somewhat sluggish and/or jerky. This is especially true when viewing from above. Placement and set up operations are jerky as well.

This is only a factor when running large battles. Medium and small battles tend to do fine.

I am operating a brand new Dell system that is relatively speedy. I am running Windows XP 2002.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bruce

256mb is a bit low for running XP to begin with. Are you running anything else while playing CM?

I am a bit fuzzy on XP, but to find the graphics card info, go to the system part of the control panel then click on the hardware tab. Go to device manager and look at your display adapters section.

WWB

I run XP at home because it is compatible with what I have at the office. All of our systems at the office have 256 ram as well. We've actually been fairly pleased with it.

OK, here is what I found on the systems tab...16mb ATI Rage 128 Ultra.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the assistance,

Bruce

You'd probably benefit some from a faster vid card with more vid RAM.

Course if you're only running into this in large battles, that might not be enough reason to bother upgrading - depends on how much it bugs you.

I just finished a CMBO battle called All or Nothing which is fairly large and has bunches and bunches of units running around in it at various points and it definitely slowed my system down to run it.

I'm running a Dell 2ghz with a GF3 Ti200 64mb. I've got a gig of system RAM, so that is not a limiting factor. The P4 processor should be up to the task. Yet in this battle I had some stuttering. It wasn't bad enough that I really worried about it too much and it didn't affect game play enough to be of concern, but it was definitely there whereas in small and medium battles it wasn't.

I'm pretty sure if I was running on a 16mb vid card the problem as I experienced in All or Nothing would of been worse, and perhaps to the level where it would of interefered with gameplay.

[ December 30, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: easytarget ]

Actually, CMBB does better with a slow & low-ram card than a slow & high ram card. It downsamples things based on the amount of video ram, not the video core. Which means a TNT with 64mb of RAM ends up overwhelemed as it does not really have the bandwith to use all of it and gets bogged where a 16mb TNT would downsample quite a bit and do fine.

One other thing about the problem at hand--what resolution are you running CM at? Toning that down a bit will probably help a bunch.

WWB