Allied AI and Vichy Algeria/Syria

I would like to see the Western Allied AI consider an operation Torch (invasion of Vichy Algeria) if 1) the Axis has not attacked Vichy France and does not threaten or control Egypt OR 2) has ignored the North African Terroritories AND France is too heavily guarded to invade AND THE ALLIES CONTROL GIBRALTAR.

With simultaneous attacks on Vichy Syria and Vichy Algeria the allies would gain productive resources and most importantily a staging area for conquering Libya and Sicily. This would force the Axis to divert resources to guard Italy.

Note: By consider I mean that the AI would sometimes, not always, execute this strategy.

[ January 31, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

I agree, the worst thing in the original game, is the lame, unintelligent, America. A North African invasion makes sense, just as it did in the real WWII. Also a scenario with a complete America would be a lot of fun. I hope they include a variety of maps in the editor.

The Sc1 AI is too predictable. It does its job well, but once you know that it will never invade Norway or England or Egypt or breakout into the Atlantic or send a lone corps to conquer Canada (which I have done in HvH games) or launch an early invasion of France you can safely deploy your resources without worrying about the conseqences.

I am looking forward to a more unpredictable AI in SC2.

You are right Edwin about the AI predictability. That has convinced me that an Axis human player will not be able to get a decent game from an Allied AI. Not so for the reverse situation though. The Axis AI can be very formidable in a custom campaign designed to take advantage of its nuances, even for us so called veterans.

SeaMonkey, I agree. You can get a good competitive game from the Axis AI in a custom campaign, but the Allied AI just does not know what to do with its forces.

For the Axis I find that giving it more tech chits helps alot as it does not invest as much in technology research as a Human player.

I also usually give the Axis control over more countries as it will not adopt the same conquer the world strategy that is required for the Axis to win (ie take Norway, Sweden, Greece, Vichy France and possibly Spain or the Middle East).

Weaknesses in these two areas - the lack of research - and the - lack of conquests = greater MPP production - really hurt the Axis AI in SC1. I look forward to seeing improvements in these two areas in SC2.