USSR Script Modifications

Since I have found it too easy to beat the Russian AI I have started to make a few script changes to reflect the difficulty of controlling a conquered country as large as Russia.

1. Post Surrender Partisans

The objective here is to provide some distraction to the Axis player if he conquers Russia, if not then perhaps the partisans will liberate Russia and the fight can resume!

1.1 Increased Number of Partisan Units to 10 for Russia in Editor. I will have to test the impact of this on the Axis AI.

I weonder if I will ahve to write a script for them to seek out and liberate one of the Russian capitals - so that Russia can reenter the game against an unprepared Axis player.

1.2 Added New Post Surrender Partisan Events

; Russian Miners Stop Work

{

#NAME= Russian Miners Strike

#POPUP= Russian Miners On Strike

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 2

#COUNTRY_ID= 4

#TRIGGER= 15

#PARTISAN_FLAG= 2

#ADD_UNIT= 0

#DISRUPTION_RANGE= 5

#MAP_POSITION= 111,17

#MAP_POSITION= 112,17

#MAP_POSITION= 136,2

}

; Russian Oil Workers Stop Work

{

#NAME= Russian Oil Workers Stop Work

#POPUP= Russian Oil Workers Stop Work

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 2

#COUNTRY_ID= 4

#TRIGGER= 15

#PARTISAN_FLAG= 2

#ADD_UNIT= 0

#DISRUPTION_RANGE= 5

#MAP_POSITION= 124,21

#MAP_POSITION= 132,22

#MAP_POSITION= 134,23

}

1.3 Added Post Surrender Partisans - 50% per turn for partisan units to appear on the map. This forces the Axis to maintain a large garrison in Russia after conquering it.

; Russians Resist German Occupation

{

#NAME= Russians Resist German Occupation

#POPUP= Russians Resist German Occupation

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 2

#COUNTRY_ID= 4

#TRIGGER= 50

#PARTISAN_FLAG= 2

#ADD_UNIT= 1

#DISRUPTION_RANGE= 5

#MAP_POSITION= 101,8

#MAP_POSITION= 101,9

#MAP_POSITION= 100,9

#MAP_POSITION= 102,10

#MAP_POSITION= 102,9

#MAP_POSITION= 103,8

#MAP_POSITION= 102,8

#MAP_POSITION= 104,8

#MAP_POSITION= 104,9

#MAP_POSITION= 105,8

#MAP_POSITION= 105,9

#MAP_POSITION= 102,14

#MAP_POSITION= 103,14

#MAP_POSITION= 102,15

#MAP_POSITION= 101,15

#MAP_POSITION= 101,14

#MAP_POSITION= 100,15

#MAP_POSITION= 99,15

#MAP_POSITION= 100,16

#MAP_POSITION= 99,14

#MAP_POSITION= 102,16

#MAP_POSITION= 103,15

#MAP_POSITION= 104,16

#MAP_POSITION= 104,15

#MAP_POSITION= 105,15

#MAP_POSITION= 107,9

#MAP_POSITION= 107,19

#MAP_POSITION= 107,12

#MAP_POSITION= 114,15

#MAP_POSITION= 112,10

#MAP_POSITION= 114,6

#MAP_POSITION= 116,10

#MAP_POSITION= 116,11

#MAP_POSITION= 119,18

#MAP_POSITION= 119,13

#MAP_POSITION= 119,8

#MAP_POSITION= 127,16

#MAP_POSITION= 128,9

#MAP_POSITION= 128,23

#MAP_POSITION= 129,21

#MAP_POSITION= 130,12

#MAP_POSITION= 132,22

#MAP_POSITION= 134,11

#MAP_POSITION= 132,22

#MAP_POSITION= 134,24

#MAP_POSITION= 135,5

#MAP_POSITION= 136,8

#MAP_POSITION= 111,1

#MAP_POSITION= 137,12

}

[ April 19, 2006, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Cool stuff! This sounds like it would definitely keep the Axis player occuppied. I was actually tweaking some numbers today to get the Allied AI in general to be more formidable during the game.

I managed to get the Russian AI to properly form defensive lines in front of a few of their cities, and to also increase their number of units in general by tweaking their production/research percentages. I've only done one playthrough, and I noticed the Russian AI still operating units away from defensive positions, but it's been reduced quite a bit. I think one of the reasons is that some of the scripts are trying to 'steal' units away for others, so for less important cities I'll be marking those for false and see how that goes.

I managed to get the US to actually land in France, but it was a little early and without enough units. They landed two Army units and an Armor unit and almost took Brest. I'll try and tweak this event and get the UK to go in on the landings as well.

I'm going to try and add a "US Heads to North Africa" script and get their initial land/sea units into the action as they prepare for D-Day, and to get the AI for Italy and UK more aggressive in North Africa in general.

I'm really enjoying the editor. It took a little reading up, and I'm still learning, but the scripts are a very powerful tool. Until Hubert releases an official patch, this is a great way to 'do it yourself' in the meantime. Anyone else have success re-working the AI for either side?

Issue 2: Archangel

As a human player I often send a Finish corps to Archangel to stop any merchant shipping. Currently the AI responds by sending a HQ unit or a Corps and a HQ unit to Archangel when the Finish unit gets too close. If it sends HQ unit the HQ unit stays outside of the city and allows the Finnish corps to enter the city.

I will add a script to have a corps garrison Archangel.

The question is to 1) have the script activate from game start or 2) only when Finland enters the war. And then the question is when to cancel this plan - perhaps if the USSR occupies Helsinki and Finland has surrendered.

Step 1 - See if there are any scripts that refer to this city. None Found.

Glad you like the editor. I am working on making the Allied Player stronger and will then switch to the Axis.

For the Russian and USA production/research I created 3 scripts - one for use during 1939-40 that focuses on Intel, Production and Industrial Tech, and another for use in preparing to fight the war and the last for when they are at war.

I have seen the same problem you did in the AI stealing units from important cities such as Stalingrad and operating them to Grozny. In once case it left only 2 HQs at Stalingrad and sent the tanks and corps from Stalingrad to Grozny in response to a long Armor unit.

As for North Africa, I can pull the Italian Army out and the Alled Air Force attacks but no UK troops advance to take the base.

Here is an Script That I will try my hand at - Send the French Fleet to Malta and the Allied Fleet to Malta to hopefully catch and destroy the Italian Fleet when it enters the war, and then quickly most of it back to the UK.

PS: Here is a trick for coordinated actions

Move the Canadian Unit in Ottowa to a Tile when you want both the USA and UK to perform D-Day. The script checks for a unit in that tile. If one is found, then both the USA and UK scripts are triggered.

[ April 19, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

In my recent game with my tweaks the AI ended up pushing me back at Stalingrad, but only temporarily. Still, it had a good 10 corps, 2 HQ's, 2 Armies and 1 Armor. At about the same time the US landed in France. smile.gif Was fun to see, but still needs more work.

Yeah, it seems the scripts in North Africa aren't there for either side. The UK will wait for you to advance, and so will the Italians, but neither are scripted to attack.

Cool, thanks for the tip, that'll save me some time on figuring out how to coordinate something like D-day.

You are most welcome. I am looking forward to seeing what HC will add in the 1st patch. Perhaps it will include a global variable that will make coordinating actions easier. ;)

Great news about the effort at Stalingrad. Its a big improvement over what SC2 has now. Generally my feeling is that once the Germans reach Stalingrad the AI should either fight there or pull back to the Urals and buildup for a counter push.

Here is an event I added that is triggered 25% of the time if the Human Axis player takes Gibraltar. It makes the Battle for the Atlantic more balanced.

-------------------------------------------------------

: Expert Level AI Events

;---------------------------------------------------

;

; USA Transfers Pacific Fleet to Atlantic

;

{

#NAME= Peace With Japan

#POPUP= Empire of Japan to Withdraw from China, USA Lifts Trade Embargo

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 0

#COUNTRY_ID= 3

#TRIGGER= 25

#DATE= 1941/12/07

#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 3,25

#DESTINATION_RESOURCE= 6,23

; Is Gibraltar Controlled by Axis?

#CONDITION_POSITION= 55,29 [1,1] [0,9] [1]

#UNIT= 9 [10] [0] [Arizona]

#UNIT= 9 [10] [0] [California]

#UNIT= 11 [10] [0] [Enterprise]

#UNIT= 11 [10] [0] [saratoga]

}

------------------------------

And to counter the Spain Exploit (as the Axis AI will never attack Spain) - try adding both of the following scripts to your Activation_1 Scripts for a more interesting game:

; Axis Declare War on Spain resulting in an additional random 60-120% increase in Turkey activation towards Allies:

{

#NAME= Axis DoW On Spain (Turkey->Allies)

#POPUP= Turkish Leaders In Ankara Alarmed By Axis Assault On Spain

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 0

#COUNTRY_ID= 43

#TRIGGER= 25

;60-100% activation increase towards Allies

#ACTIVATION= [60,100] [2]

; Spain declared war on by Axis

#CONDITION= 38 [1] [1]

}

{

#NAME= Axis DoW On Spain (Turkey->Allies #2)

#POPUP= Turkey's Generals Pledge To Defend Turkish Independence

#FLAG= 1

#TYPE= 0

#COUNTRY_ID= 43

#TRIGGER= 25

;25-50% activation increase towards Allies

#ACTIVATION= [25,50] [2]

; Spain declared war on by Axis

#CONDITION= 38 [1] [1]

}

Total Possible: 100-150% Change in Activation! if both scripts are triggered!

Of course a new Diplomacy AI plan has to be created that will activate if Turkey is >50% pro-allied.

[ April 20, 2006, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]