getting squads to embark/disembark

Please forgive if this has been covered - I did both a search and looked in the post archive...

I had a rifle squad all set to embark a Greyhound as it was moving past - a mistake, I now realize, as they just waved as the AC went past. My first question is: if you are moving a tank or AC to the vicinity of a squad for transport, is it required to use an entire turn while the vehicle is stopped, for the squad to embark, with no other orders queued?

Second, I tried to get a hmg squad to disembark another greyhound. The squad had an 8 second command delay, so I figured that all I had to do was pause the greyhound for 45 seconds before rolling away on fast move and that would be enough time for the group to hop out. Same question as above - do I need to plan on an entire turn with both squad and vehicle lacking other orders besides disembarking for the squad to disembark? This case saw my mg squad tooling around the battlefield long after I had wanted to set it up for suppressive fire...guess they hadn't finished their beer on the AC?

Thanks

Am unsure of exactly what you are doing and having problems with. A Greyhound can only carry a Team so no matter what you did in the first example the Rifle squad would never embark.

Squads and Teams both take a 'period of time' to load/unload, MG&Flame&Mortar Teams taking considerably longer. You can load or unload passengers and then have the AFV carry out its movement in the same turn, if you give them sufficient time to do so.

In your second example where did you place the disembarking waypoint for the HMG? If it is too far away they won't get off. IIRC the disembarking waypoint has to be within about 20m of the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

Now that you mention it, I think it was an mg team, not a rifle squad, because I was able to embark the mg team and I was disappointed that the rifle squad wouldn't fit. So from what you said, it sounds like I can't get too ambitious with planning orders for my transporting vehicle until I am sure the squad/team is loaded up.

And I'll try the disembarking way-point closer to the vehicle. I'm pretty sure I had a longer jaunt planned than 20m right from the vehicle.

Thanks again!

Yes its by russelmz and is one of his unofficial FAQ posts. I found it so helpful I bookmarked it, but when I looked for it I didn't see it in his regular post, so I don't know if there is an updated list somewhere. This is a very informative piece of FAQ BTW, well done. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Radar:

Tip List

I don't know if you've seen this or not but there are some real good tips to be found here.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Radar. Yeah, I've been poring over the posts and there is a wealth of info there...I must have missed the embarking/disembarking clues the first time.